American Porter Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone - Page 7 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > American Porter Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #61
SD-SLIM
 
SD-SLIM's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 1,205
Liked 70 Times on 42 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewertodd
brewed this one two days ago, missed the og by about .005. got 1.055. i dont think thats going to affect it too much. cant wait to get me some of this!
It should be fine, hope you enjoy the beer!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #62
NY_HomeBrew_Student
Recipes 
 
Oct 2013
, NY/MA
Posts: 50
Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts


Hey SD-SLIM,

I tried to get as close as possible to the ingredients listed on both the bottle and website. Any suggestions and thoughts on this recipe would be GREATLY appreciated.

5.5g Batch using Brewer's Friend Recipe Calculator
OG 1.062 (Bottle states 15 Plato)
IBU 37.06 (Bottle 37)
SRM 37 (not specified)
ABV 5.82% (Bottle 5.8%)

9# Pale 2 Row
1# Crystal 75
.5# Chocolate Malt
.5# Roasted Barley
.75# Brown Sugar (not specified anywhere but bumped the OG up to 1.062 after using the previous 4 ingredients)

.75 oz Northern Brewer @ 60 minutes
.5 oz Williamette @ 30
.5 oz Cascade @ 30

Fermentis US-04 or 05?

I know its an old thread but I'm taking a shot anyway. Thanks again!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:37 PM   #63
Helly
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Helly's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Ravenna, Mi
Posts: 1,473
Liked 206 Times on 172 Posts


I'm getting ready to brew this again. It was so good last year around Christmas. I think I'm gonna go for a 10 gallon batch this time. From what I remember I used safale 04 and it worked great. My 2 cents.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:21 AM   #64
SD-SLIM
 
SD-SLIM's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 1,205
Liked 70 Times on 42 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Helly
I'm getting ready to brew this again. It was so good last year around Christmas. I think I'm gonna go for a 10 gallon batch this time. From what I remember I used safale 04 and it worked great. My 2 cents.
Yeah it's that time of the year again....I think after halloween, I might brew this up again!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #65
Helly
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Helly's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Ravenna, Mi
Posts: 1,473
Liked 206 Times on 172 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_HomeBrew_Student View Post
Hey SD-SLIM,

I tried to get as close as possible to the ingredients listed on both the bottle and website. Any suggestions and thoughts on this recipe would be GREATLY appreciated.

5.5g Batch using Brewer's Friend Recipe Calculator
OG 1.062 (Bottle states 15 Plato)
IBU 37.06 (Bottle 37)
SRM 37 (not specified)
ABV 5.82% (Bottle 5.8%)

9# Pale 2 Row
1# Crystal 75
.5# Chocolate Malt
.5# Roasted Barley
.75# Brown Sugar (not specified anywhere but bumped the OG up to 1.062 after using the previous 4 ingredients)

.75 oz Northern Brewer @ 60 minutes
.5 oz Williamette @ 30
.5 oz Cascade @ 30

Fermentis US-04 or 05?

I know its an old thread but I'm taking a shot anyway. Thanks again!
I checked, I used Safale 04, I recommend it, that's what I'm going to do again this time.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #66
NY_HomeBrew_Student
Recipes 
 
Oct 2013
, NY/MA
Posts: 50
Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts


@Helly,

Thanks for the the yeast recommendation. Any thoughts on the rest of the recipe?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #67
Helly
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Helly's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Ravenna, Mi
Posts: 1,473
Liked 206 Times on 172 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_HomeBrew_Student
@Helly, Thanks for the the yeast recommendation. Any thoughts on the rest of the recipe?
I'll look it up tonight and let you know what I did. I remember scaling back the hops slightly from SD's recipe and when I tried it side/side with the original that was a noticeable difference. But I still liked my version a lot. It is a very good recipe he's posted so if you stay close you can't go wrong.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #68
Helly
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Helly's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Ravenna, Mi
Posts: 1,473
Liked 206 Times on 172 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Helly View Post
I'll look it up tonight and let you know what I did. I remember scaling back the hops slightly from SD's recipe and when I tried it side/side with the original that was a noticeable difference. But I still liked my version a lot. It is a very good recipe he's posted so if you stay close you can't go wrong.
Finally got a chance to look it up. Here's what I did:

0.75 oz Northern Brewer 10.6% AA 60 min
0.5 oz Fuggles 4.2% AA 40 min
0.5 oz Cascades 6.7% AA 20 min
0.5 oz Cascades 6.7% AA flameout

So I didn't do a 90 minute boil as per the original recipe and I scaled hops back a bit so take my notes with a grain of salt. I don't think you could go wrong with the OP's recipe but I wouldn't hesitate to brew this again the same way myself.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:30 AM   #69
Helly
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Helly's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Ravenna, Mi
Posts: 1,473
Liked 206 Times on 172 Posts


Brewed this again. 10 gallon batch this time. Pretty excited about it. My OG is low, efficiency was not great. The weather was awful and I was having a hard time keeping mash temp right with the wind blowing so cold. In any event I'm sure it will be beer and if it's half as good as my batch last year it will be a hit at Christmas. Slim thanks again for the recipe.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #70
SD-SLIM
 
SD-SLIM's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 1,205
Liked 70 Times on 42 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Helly
Brewed this again. 10 gallon batch this time. Pretty excited about it. My OG is low, efficiency was not great. The weather was awful and I was having a hard time keeping mash temp right with the wind blowing so cold. In any event I'm sure it will be beer and if it's half as good as my batch last year it will be a hit at Christmas. Slim thanks again for the recipe.
Your welcome....hope it turns out!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
American Porter Edmund Fitzgerald Clone (AG) ohiobrewtus Homebrew Ale Recipes 155 08-29-2016 04:23 AM
Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone - BYO Dynachrome Recipes/Ingredients 29 03-12-2015 03:33 AM
Edmund Fitzgerald Porter brewjunky Homebrew Ale Recipes 3 04-04-2011 06:04 PM
Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone tribute Dynachrome Recipes/Ingredients 11 11-23-2010 12:35 AM
Edmund Fitzgerald Clone from BYO sonetlumiere85 Recipes/Ingredients 15 11-10-2010 02:28 AM


Forum Jump