Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Raspberries - fresh, frozen, puree?

Old 05-26-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
allanmac00
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Raspberries - fresh, frozen, puree?

Sorry if this question has been asked/answered before, but I searched and couldn't find a good answer.

I'm brewed a raspberry wheat last weekend. I essentially brewed a German Wheat ale, let it primary, and am now ready to add the raspberry into a secondary. What should I use for the raspberries however? And how much? I suspect that fresh raspberries could get costly, but I am brewing this beer to give as a wedding favor, so quality is my main factor.

The OG for this beer was around 1.040 if that helps. The grain bill was 9lbs. Thanks!

Old 05-26-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanmac00 View Post
Sorry if this question has been asked/answered before, but I searched and couldn't find a good answer.

I'm brewed a raspberry wheat last weekend. I essentially brewed a German Wheat ale, let it primary, and am now ready to add the raspberry into a secondary. What should I use for the raspberries however? And how much? I suspect that fresh raspberries could get costly, but I am brewing this beer to give as a wedding favor, so quality is my main factor.

The OG for this beer was around 1.040 if that helps. The grain bill was 9lbs. Thanks!
I always go with 1lb for every 1gallon of wort...as for the raspberries, if I dont pick them then I prefer going to a big box retailer and buying them frozen (because of the regulations they have on packaging fruit), I let them thaw before I puree them (so that the yeast dont have to work so hard).
But that's me...in the end it's beer, so it can't be too bad!

Old 05-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
KoedBrew
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Frozen is good to use. A pound per gallon is good, you could go more, but I guess it depends how much flavor you want. But don't add too much

Old 05-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #4
autoferret
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-SLIM View Post
I always go with 1lb for every 1gallon of wort...as for the raspberries, if I dont pick them then I prefer going to a big box retailer and buying them frozen (because of the regulations they have on packaging fruit), I let them thaw before I puree them (so that the yeast dont have to work so hard).
But that's me...in the end it's beer, so it can't be too bad!
I second that! But i dont puree them, just me...
Bottled: "Oatie the Oatmeal Stout"; NB Saison; "666" by request; NB 115th Dream hopbursted;EdWort's Apfelwein
Up Coming: Imperial Oatmeal Stout; House IPA

Old 05-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
dabblenben
Recipes 

I use 1 lb of frozen raspberries per gallon of beer and soak them in a bag for 30 minutes prior to adding to secondary with a little bit of vodka to kill any unwanted bugs.

Also, when I added the raspberries to secondary, they lost most of their color and turned white pretty quickly. Just a heads up; it looks pretty nasty/scary/infection-like at first. Don't panic when you have a bunch of white stuff floating in your beer.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #6
KoedBrew
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

you could rinse the berries in some vodka