Stumps Clone build underway - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Stumps Clone build underway

Old 07-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #31
Sawdustguy

Recipes 

Mar 2009
Manorville, New York
Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Very nice build! I hope to see it in person at a contest one day!

Old 07-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #32
strat_thru_marshall

Recipes 

Mar 2010
Oklahoma City
Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts

Man thats pretty amazing. What a great build! Don't forget to post some pics of it in action when you get it loaded with ribs.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #33
dfess1
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Flourtown, PA
Liked 99 Times on 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Great build thread. You suck, and you suck, and I want to learn to weld you suck. Godddammmmnitttt.. Suckola. I want to do what you did.

I feel better. Thanks and carry on folks.
hehe, I know. THat's how I felt the whole time doing it. Had one big arse grin from ear to ear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolboxdiver View Post
AWESOME Build wish I had the room for a tow behind rig, one day I hope
THanks. I"m down in Flourtown/Erdenhiem area, you'll have to check it out and have a brew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
Very nice build! I hope to see it in person at a contest one day!
I have never been to a comp before, and really have no idea what is involved. Add to that all of the other hobbies I already have, and I"m not sure my wife would be willing to go!! But it has piqued my curiousity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat_thru_marshall View Post
Man thats pretty amazing. What a great build! Don't forget to post some pics of it in action when you get it loaded with ribs.
Will try to remember to take pics today. Have cornbread to make, as well as a crap load of other appeitizers.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #34
barrooze

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Pearland, TX
Liked 124 Times on 102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfess1 View Post
thanks! We have a few mods we'll be making to it this weekend, but otherwise it's pretty much finished. I'll have more pics of it's big cook this weekend, and how the probes go in/out of the chamber.
Update? How'd the big Caveman BBQ go this year? I'm sure it was an absolute hit with that new beast you've got! Congrats on an awesome build!!!
Kegged: BOSON on Rhubarb, Dry-Hopped Sour Brown (ECY01), DIPA, Funky Belgian Table Beer, Breakfast Stout Primary: CYBI Obsidian Stout clone, Citra Dust APA, Hop Dust APA Souring: None On Deck: Oktoberfest-ish Lager On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Atrial Rubicite clone (ECY20) Updated: 2016/04/09
Untappd: barrooze

Old 10-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #35
dfess1
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Flourtown, PA

I forgot to update this, good catch!

Ribs were procured, "conditioning" in the spare fridge.

hmmm, wonder what this will be...

about 90 ABT's!!!

Ribs all rubbed down, and put in their own foodsaver bag (love that thing) to sit overnight.

Libations were all carbed up and ready to go. These were the "on deck" kegs...

As the kegerator was already full

Smoker up to temp, time for some ribs...

Ribs are all done!

And the last pic took of the day, people lining up at the table.

All said, there were about 55 people total. Even had the local radio station show up. It was good times!

Old 10-13-2011, 08:23 PM   #36
android

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Ames, Iowa
Liked 44 Times on 35 Posts

not seeing any pics???

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 10-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #37
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Middletown, De
Liked 3061 Times on 3003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by android View Post
not seeing any pics???
I do, and they look delicious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 02-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #38
dfess1
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Flourtown, PA

So I couldn't have been more pleased with the way this baby has worked all WINTER. Granted it hasn't been much of a winter, but it's still been below freezing. I never could have used my Brinkman SnP in colder climates. I had this baby chugging away at a group brew event two weeks ago in the SNOW!! That was nice, finish up a 1.100 RIS and chow down on some ABT's, Chicken, and Ribs!! The rest of the homebrew club was happy too!

Old 08-28-2015, 05:07 PM   #39
dfess1
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Flourtown, PA

So after four years, it was time to strip this puppy down and get rid of some rust. She sits in the driveway, unprotected. The elements have taken a toll.

I stripped everything off that could unbolt, and taught my wife how to use an angle grinder with a wire brush attachment. We went to town on all of the rust spots on the frame/smoker/firebox.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:13 PM   #40
dfess1
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Flourtown, PA

The fenders had this really hard epoxy primer, and the original paint never really took to it, as you can see in the previous pics. So i took them down to metal, shot with primer, and then put on the same paint as the rest of it.

Next up were the wheels. I had a bearing go bad and pretty much detonate on both sides. Puked grease all on the inside of the rim. A full bottle of dawn, and an hours worth of elbow grease got the crap off the rim, so I could then get rid of the rust spots and reshoot them with a metallic blue.

I took the box I have that holds the Stoker unit, striped it of the blue it had and repainted that as well.