Low OG Again What am I doing wrong? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Low OG Again What am I doing wrong?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2011, 03:30 AM   #1
vindee
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Lake Tapps, Washington
Posts: 234
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts



Ok, this time I lowered my efficiency to 71% and adjusted my grain bill up to compensate and still only came up with 1.034 OG measured at 65 deg.
Mashed at 155 deg for one hour and did a mash out at 159 deg for 10 minutes.
Batch sparged at 165. Ended up with 6.2 gallons for a 5 gallon batch.

0.50 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 4.88 %
4.25 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 41.46 %
4.25 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 41.46 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 9.76 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2.44 %
0.30 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 16.6 IBU
0.75 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (1 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
1 Pkgs American Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP320) Yeast-Wheat

I would sure like to get closer to the 1.042 pre boil mark.
Thanks



 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:40 AM   #2
JuanMoore
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
The Old Pueblo
Posts: 21,617
Liked 3655 Times on 3479 Posts


First, have you recently calibrated your thermometers and hydrometer? If they're off even a little it can throw things off a lot. Inaccurate volume measurents can also make it seem like your efficiency is much worse than it is. How is your crush? Are you buying pre-milled grains or milling yourself? Are you stirring really really well at dough in to make sure there are no dough balls and then again before sparging? Could be any number of things, but we really need to know more about your process to pin it down.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:51 AM   #3
Joshaw50
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Houston, TX
Posts: 119
Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by vindee View Post
Ok, this time I lowered my efficiency to 71% and adjusted my grain bill up to compensate and still only came up with 1.034 OG measured at 65 deg.
Mashed at 155 deg for one hour and did a mash out at 159 deg for 10 minutes.
Batch sparged at 165. Ended up with 6.2 gallons for a 5 gallon batch.

0.50 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 4.88 %
4.25 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 41.46 %
4.25 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 41.46 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 9.76 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2.44 %
0.30 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 16.6 IBU
0.75 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (1 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
1 Pkgs American Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP320) Yeast-Wheat

I would sure like to get closer to the 1.042 pre boil mark.
Thanks
I've been hanging around 70% All Grain efficiency with 48 qt mash tun manifold setup with Keggle. In my opinion, I'd say add some more grain. The one I brewed last week had about 13 lbs total grain bill and I hit 1.052 on a nut brown. This week I did a Tank 7 Farmhouse Clone and hit 1.077 on a 15 lb grain Bill. Both 60 min mash at about 156. I do a hybrid type sparge with a colander @ 170 with a very very slow drain. About 1 hour to get my 6.75 gallon preboil. Another thing that may sound stupid but you never know, check the accuracy of your hydrometer using tap water.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:51 AM   #4
vindee
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Lake Tapps, Washington
Posts: 234
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts


My hydrometer is accurate in plain water, and I am using a new digital temperature display with a Pl 385 RTD temp probe accurate at 32 degress and dead on at a boil at 212.4 deg.
I do stir and mix very well at dough in, once in the middle of mash, and again at mash out.
My grains are milled at the time I get the grains. The crush looks good to me, but that dosen't mean it's not correct.
Hope this helps

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:55 AM   #5
Joshaw50
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Houston, TX
Posts: 119
Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by vindee View Post
My hydrometer is accurate in plain water, and I am using a new digital temperature display with a Pl 385 RTD temp probe accurate at 32 degress and dead on at a boil at 212.4 deg.
I do stir and mix very well at dough in, once in the middle of mash, and again at mash out.
My grains are milled at the time I get the grains. The crush looks good to me, but that dosen't mean it's not correct.
Hope this helps
What type of mash tun do you have? Manifold or Braid?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:01 AM   #6
vindee
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Lake Tapps, Washington
Posts: 234
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts


The mash tun is a 52 qt. Coleman extreme with a 1/2" copper pipe manifold setup with slits cut with a hacksaw every 1/2" along the bottom. (copyed from a design I found online)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:03 AM   #7
bruin_ale
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Campbell, CA
Posts: 1,436
Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts


what does your crush look like? That's always the first thing I'd check if you're getting below 70%

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #8
Rondacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Rondacker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Great Sacandaga Lake, New York
Posts: 237
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin_ale View Post
what does your crush look like? That's always the first thing I'd check if you're getting below 70%
How does crush affect efficiency?
__________________
My Basement E-brewery;http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=268759
On Deck= Stone Ruination Clone
Secondary= Nate's Citrus Bomb
Kegged= Neapolitan Stout

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:41 PM   #9
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
TheWeeb's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Denver, Colorado
Posts: 1,125
Liked 120 Times on 77 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondacker View Post
How does crush affect efficiency?
This was exactly my problem when I started all-grain. I was having the grain pre-crushed from an on-line source (thought it would save time); my efficiency was no where near what others in my club were getting from using the club's mill.

Too little milling means the grain remains in large pieces thus exposing less of the surface area of each (crushed) kernel to the wonderful warm water mash, thus extracting less. To much milling and of course you risk a stuck sparge. It is a narrow window, and somewhat dependent on your sparge equipment, that I think you just have to experiment around with to find the sweet spot.
__________________
____________
"I would Rather Have a Keg of Delirium Tremens than a Case of It"

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:53 PM   #10
brewguy82
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
nashua, NH
Posts: 205

My efficiency has been low two just finished a batch of kolsch Last night at 1.040. Mashed at 149 batch spathe 160. Milling is good done at my lhbs this is the second all grain batch with a low efficiency


__________________
http://granitehop.blogspot.com/

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTF went wrong? RogueBomber All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 11 04-25-2010 09:54 PM
What did I do wrong? mdarby All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 19 02-04-2010 06:20 PM
I did it wrong didn't I? bernerbrau All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 18 07-12-2009 09:54 AM
What is wrong with my MLT? Berlbrew All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 24 07-07-2009 07:16 PM
What am I doing wrong/right? Lando All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 5 06-18-2009 02:46 PM


Forum Jump