Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > The reason its hard to save money homebrewing

Old 05-25-2011, 09:07 PM   #21
onipar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
I honestly wouldn't be drinking this much beer if i didn't make it.
This is my situation too. In the past, if I purchased more than three cases of beer a *year* that was a lot. Usually over the summer I'd pick up a case for my mini fridge and drink a beer or two while I work. This is mostly in the summer. Winter, for whatever reason, I craved beer less.

Now, just *waiting* for my first batch to condition I've purchased and drank more beer than I normally would in a year.

So no, I didn't get into it to save money, because if I wanted to really save money I'd probably have continued buying a case or two a year.

What I do like is that this hobby--as someone else mentioned--produces a product that I can consume and enjoy. I liken it to cooking my own dinner rather than eating out. It's not necessarily cheaper, nor is it necessarily better, but it's sometimes fresher and something I enjoy to do.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:15 PM   #22
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 2413 Posts
Likes Given: 1970

That's about the size of it. Also why I bought my wife a fermenter. 11 gallons of brew at a time,two different styles. Now I need another hobby to take my mind off drinking beer every day. Maybe if I could get the roof on my lil tuner fixed...naaah,I'd probably be taking cold cases to meets. Dang,I gotta cut back...but it tastes so goood!

Old 05-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #23
LVBen
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Are you absolutely certain that your batch is infected? Beer can be very deceptive!!!

You could calibrate your hydrometer and not have to buy a new one. Just put it in water and mark the NEW 1.000 line (or note it) and subtract the difference from your future measurements. Moreover, you don't have to have a hydrometer! I've skipped hydrometer measurements several times without any problems.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:34 PM   #24
jbsg02
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I also look at it as a hobby rather than a way of saving money on beer. Think about golf as a hobby, a new driver can cost $300, a round of golf on the weekends is usually atleast $50 and up. (And after that you still have to pay $4 for a coors light at the course) As hobbies go, I think it's a fairly inexpensive one.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:44 PM   #25
cfonnes
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Do I spend a lot of money on equipment / ingredients? Yes!

Does it save me money because it keeps me home and out of trouble? Yes!

Old 05-25-2011, 09:50 PM   #26
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 2413 Posts
Likes Given: 1970

I didn't think of it that way. Another bonus!! cha ching!

Old 05-25-2011, 11:33 PM   #27
Mikethepoolguy
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsg02
I also look at it as a hobby rather than a way of saving money on beer. Think about golf as a hobby, a new driver can cost $300, a round of golf on the weekends is usually atleast $50 and up. (And after that you still have to pay $4 for a coors light at the course) As hobbies go, I think it's a fairly inexpensive one.
Ha! I realized 18 months ago that I suck at golf, always have, always will. I sold my clubs and brought brew equipment. Now I have my first ribbon and a hobby that I love. But if you want to save money you have to spend money: Go AG, buy grain and hops in bulk ,make yeast starters and do yeast washing.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:28 AM   #28
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakadaka View Post
There are always threads on here about whether or not you can save money homebrewing. I used to be on the side that said there definitely was. I mean 2 cases for 20-30 bucks? thats a lot better than 10 dollars a 6er.

I thought that I was probably getting close to making back money on all of my equipment investments, and was going to start saving money. I started thinking about what I am going to need and want soon, and started pricing out how to build an IC and my next 3 batches
But when I went to rack my last batch to a secondary I realized it was infected. (or at least i am pretty sure, something is definitely wrong with it). So now I am out 2 cases of beer, a primary fermenter (it was in a plastic bucket), and potentially some tubing and an auto-siphon, because that might be where the infection came from.

So not a big deal originally, about 20 dollars for the beer, another 15 maybe for the bucket. Then I find out my hydrometer is out of calibration as well.

So on top of the prices for my next batch of ingredients, I will also need about 15 bucks for a bucket and another 10 for a new hydrometer. And that would be with brewing a batch and just hoping its not my tubing thats infected. And some more yeast, because I had planned on the cake that the infected batch is sitting on to last me for about 5 more batches.

I know that none of those are huge expenses, but for a currently unemployed student, its putting a damper on my budget.

So to make it short, I think its going to be a long time before I am truly saving money brewing it instead of buying my own. I guess its cheaper than the new mountain bike I want to buy though.
Why can't you just sanitize all of your equipment? Scrub it and soak it in star san or whatever you use for 24 hrs.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:41 AM   #29
hough77
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastoak

Why can't you just sanitize all of your equipment? Scrub it and soak it in star san or whatever you use for 24 hrs.
^I was wondering the same thing.^

Old 05-26-2011, 01:13 AM   #30
JohnTheBrewist
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

^^+2^^ First, you're not even sure that the batch was infected (likely not), but even if it was, proper sanitation will fix this. There's no need to go buy a new bucket, siphon etc.

for one more beer!