Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Lambic oxygenation/aeration

Old 05-25-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1716 Times on 1604 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Lambic oxygenation/aeration

All the reading I've done on lambic brewing has been mostly dealing with the traditional process, and of course, the idea of oxygenation is relatively new, so it's rarely - if ever - mentioned in regards to traditional brews. However, most still benefit from oxygenation.

But wild beers obviously have a more complex relationship with dissolved oxygen, and in all my research on lambic, I don't think I've found a single reference to or opinion on oxygenating the beer before pitching. I do know that oxygen is typically something you want to minimize as time goes on (as opposed to a Flanders Red), and I'm already set to control that.

So, I'm wondering if anybody can provide any information on oxygenating lambic immediately after chilling (and if AT ALL possible, some idea of optimal levels). Opinions are okay if you can provide a strong rationale, but references to published works (studies or even expert opinion) would be ideal.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
twigboy2000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I do not, and mine turn out fine. There are cultures in the lambic blends that are inhibited by oxygen which led me to skip that step.

-chuck

Old 05-27-2011, 07:15 AM   #3
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1716 Times on 1604 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Okay... just got my oxygenation wand and will be making a lambic on Saturday, but I guess I'll have to wait to use it!