Need S-23 advice - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Need S-23 advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2011, 01:22 AM   #1
Bmorebrew
 
Bmorebrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 474
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts



So I screwed up at the LHBS the other day picking up some supplies. I meant to get the Saflager 34/70 but instead got 2 packs of the S-23.

I've been looking here and there but can't find definitive advice on styles this will definitely work for - seems like a temperamental yeast that people haven't got a good grip on.

Does anyone have any experience with this yeast, and what type of beer would this work best in?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
zgoda
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
, Poland
Posts: 142
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


I tasted various lagers fermented by this yeast and definitely light lagers was better than dark ones and hoppy ones was better than malty ones - so i'd say German Pils and maybe Dortmunder.

One of my colleagues made fine Baltic Porter with this yeast, but this is very specific style.
__________________
Nobody expects Spanish infection!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #3

I just got done using this style on a Czech pilsener. I had read that it was unbearably fruity. Just kegged the beer last night so I don't know 100% for sure but samples along the way have revealed nothing untoward about this strain. I fermented it on the warm side (close to 60) since I read that would improve results. I use mostly 34/70 but would not hesitate to use s-23 again (my LHBS carries s-23 but not 34/70 right now although I am trying to change that).

Northern Brewer recommends s-23 for their American Lager, Czech Pilsener, and Schwarzbier. If you've never done a Schwarz, give it a go! Fantastic dark lager. Racked mine last night for lagering after dry hopping and am really, really looking forward to this one being ready in a couple of months.
__________________
2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2015 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:29 AM   #4
JuanMoore
 
JuanMoore's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
The Old Pueblo
Posts: 22,378
Liked 3736 Times on 3549 Posts


I've never used it personally, but I've tasted some fantastic california commons brewed with it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:36 AM   #5
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 26,603
Liked 7032 Times on 4164 Posts


S-23 is fine. I don't get anything fruity from it. No odd esters, but there is a distinct perfumey aroma / flavor. Not really offensive, I like it.

Here's my write-up, a DRY vs LIQUID test on a pilsner using S-23. I don't use it any more because I prefer the W3/70. If I had the S-23 I wouldn't hesitate to use it for any lager.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/lag...2124-a-183454/
__________________
- Andrew

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
S-23 is fine. I don't get anything fruity from it. No odd esters, but there is a distinct perfumey aroma / flavor. Not really offensive, I like it.

Here's my write-up, a DRY vs LIQUID test on a pilsner using S-23. I don't use it any more because I prefer the W3/70. If I had the S-23 I wouldn't hesitate to use it for any lager.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/lag...2124-a-183454/
Nice experiment & write up--hadn't seen that before. I'm in the same boat; love the W-34/70 but would use the S-23 without hesitation. My Czech pil using the S-23 was kegged last night and I'll be starting a new pils batch with 34/70 this weekend (different recipe, but only very slightly).
__________________
2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2015 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:51 AM   #7
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 26,603
Liked 7032 Times on 4164 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr View Post
Nice experiment & write up--hadn't seen that before. I'm in the same boat; love the W-34/70 but would use the S-23 without hesitation. My Czech pil using the S-23 was kegged last night and I'll be starting a new pils batch with 34/70 this weekend (different recipe, but only very slightly).
Do you say czech because you use saaz? I have always wondered why that term is used... it should be a g. pils.
__________________
- Andrew

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Do you say czech because you use saaz? I have always wondered why that term is used... it should be a g. pils.
Hmmm, had just picked up the habit of calling Bohemian pilseners Czech pilseners...probably a combination of a number of things (1) Bohemia is somewhat synonymous with the Czech Republic (2) one of my favourite beers is Czechvar pilsener (3) as you note the Saaz hops are Czech in origin.

I should start referring to the style properly as Bohemian pilsener! German pilseners are a distinct style (made one of those as well recently and really liked it)
__________________
2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2015 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:08 PM   #9
rockfish42
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
Merced, CA
Posts: 813
Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Do you say czech because you use saaz? I have always wondered why that term is used... it should be a g. pils.
Those are two different but similar styles, normally the Bohemian is a little fuller and has higher IBUS. Also the bopils has less sulfate leading to a softer hop character.

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style02.php

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #10
jjones17
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Posts: 617
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
S-23 is fine. I don't get anything fruity from it. No odd esters, but there is a distinct perfumey aroma / flavor. Not really offensive, I like it.

Here's my write-up, a DRY vs LIQUID test on a pilsner using S-23. I don't use it any more because I prefer the W3/70. If I had the S-23 I wouldn't hesitate to use it for any lager.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/lag...2124-a-183454/
Holy crap - I am amazed at your statement, and am glad you made it! Personally, I have tried S-23 twice and DESPISED it beyond words. It made my beer taste like a lollipop.

If you loved it that much, I must have had poorly stored s-23 methinks.... while encouraged by your statement, I am still scared to try it again no matter how fresh it is.....

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Going to try my first starter (need advice) marnel Fermentation & Yeast 4 01-13-2011 06:15 PM
First lager - need advice swfc68 Fermentation & Yeast 9 09-29-2010 12:56 AM
So I need some fermentation advice ryan0914 Fermentation & Yeast 1 07-31-2010 07:25 PM
Am I giving the right advice here? heywolfie1015 Fermentation & Yeast 2 07-09-2010 06:06 PM
I Need Help/advice ILOVEBEER Fermentation & Yeast 6 12-08-2009 03:19 AM


Forum Jump