Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > switching to the carboy
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2011, 12:58 AM   #1
jkd3624
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: lisbon, ny
Posts: 3
Default switching to the carboy

How do I know when I should go from the bucket to the carboy with my beer?? What is a good time frame here


jkd3624 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:01 AM   #2
eastoak
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: oakland, california
Posts: 3,262
Liked 152 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 86

Default

tou don't have to do that at all unless you want to dry hop or add some other ingredient. keep it in the bucket until you bottle.


eastoak is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:04 AM   #3
kapbrew13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: somerset, NJ
Posts: 1,384
Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

Default

Go to the carboy after a month and a half. Else make another brew to fill your empty carboy.
kapbrew13 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:10 AM   #4
MileHighHops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 57
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I usually do two weeks in primary bucket and 1-2 weeks in secondary carboy, Depending on what type of beer I'm doing. You should take a hydrometer reading before moving to your carboy to see if you're near your target FG.

But many people on here will tell you they never transfer to a secondary, so you could go that route if you want.

Good luck and welcome aboard!
MileHighHops is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:14 AM   #5
brewmonk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sharon,MA
Posts: 1,123
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Default

OG drops to FG, and temp will drop 2-3 degrees (depending on EVERYTHING else).
I'd say "until it CLEARS", but it's in a damn bucket at that point!
__________________
-I'm not getting older, but the floor is getting further away.
brewmonk is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:16 AM   #6
mcgearybrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pottsville PA
Posts: 63
Default

You'll probably find that after a few batches the bucket will become obsolete, I would just invest in another carboy and use the buckets to store your hoses and sanitizing solution...In the long run no matter how well made the plastic is you're going to scratch it. If you're just starting out than I would wait a little to see if this is really your passion.

But to answer your question I would ferment it out and then move it to the secondary.
mcgearybrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:39 AM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UP of Michigan
Posts: 64,509
Liked 5639 Times on 4043 Posts
Likes Given: 1381

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgearybrewing View Post
You'll probably find that after a few batches the bucket will become obsolete, I would just invest in another carboy and use the buckets to store your hoses and sanitizing solution...In the long run no matter how well made the plastic is you're going to scratch it. If you're just starting out than I would wait a little to see if this is really your passion.

But to answer your question I would ferment it out and then move it to the secondary.
It's funny, but I think just the opposite! Forget the carboy completely, unless you're a winemaker (I am) and buy more buckets!

The beer NEVER has to move to the carboy. Two to three weeks in the bucket, bottle. That works for me, and a ton of other people. Each time you move the beer (rack), you risk oxidation. But I don't like carboys- I weight 135 pounds and carboys are HEAVY and glass can break. I use them for my wine that ages for months, but not for beer any more.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:05 AM   #8
NorthRiverS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gresham, Oregon
Posts: 556
Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Me thinks the carboy will become obsolete. . . . . . .

NRS
NorthRiverS is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #9
kapbrew13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: somerset, NJ
Posts: 1,384
Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

It's funny, but I think just the opposite! Forget the carboy completely, unless you're a winemaker (I am) and buy more buckets!

The beer NEVER has to move to the carboy. Two to three weeks in the bucket, bottle. That works for me, and a ton of other people. Each time you move the beer (rack), you risk oxidation. But I don't like carboys- I weight 135 pounds and carboys are HEAVY and glass can break. I use them for my wine that ages for months, but not for beer any more.
So how many batches do you use a bucket before replacing?
kapbrew13 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:00 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UP of Michigan
Posts: 64,509
Liked 5639 Times on 4043 Posts
Likes Given: 1381

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapbrew13 View Post
So how many batches do you use a bucket before replacing?
I have no idea. I don't think I've ever tossed a bucket yet. I've made about 300 batches, though. Most are 5 gallon batches (one bucket per batch) but some are 10 gallons (2 buckets per batch).


__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools



Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS