Temperature for Lambic Bulk Aging? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Temperature for Lambic Bulk Aging?

Old 05-25-2011, 12:43 AM   #1
boralyl
Recipes 

Dec 2009
Pennsylvania
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I brewed a lambic that has been sitting in the primary fermenter for about 7 months. Originally it was at around 66F. After about 3 months my basement temperatures were getting to be around 50F which I thought was too low so I brought it upstairs. Now with the warmer temperatures it's currently at 75F and will go up if I don't move it. Is there a maximum temperature it shouldn't exceed?

Just to clarify, the normal fermentation is complete, it's just the bugs now. I pitched dregs from Russian River Supplication and a White Labs Lambic Blend for the bugs if that helps. I plan on aging it for at least another 12 months.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:58 AM   #2

Traditional lambics aren't controlled as far as temps go, so you should do the same.

I typically ferment mine downstairs in the winter (around 65f) and bring it upstairs in the summer (can get as high as 85 if I don't have the air on). This really depends on the stage of fermentation you're in though. I primary at 65f regardless. Secondary, I just let it go.

I'd say just let it go with the seasons and it will turn out just fine.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 05-25-2011, 01:15 AM   #3
XXguy

Recipes 

Dec 2008
Southeastern PA
Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

My basic understanding is that higher temps = more souring.

Have you taken a look over at themadfermentationist.com ?

He's a member here, but his blog is kind of the go to source for sours & funk.

Good luck with it.