HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - This is it - Final Weekend to Enter!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Final Weekend!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How likely is an infection to occur at high krausen?

Old 05-23-2011, 08:36 PM   #1
phidelt844
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How likely is an infection to occur at high krausen?

Last night I stumbled in to my brew room after waking up in the middle of the night to let the dog out and noticed I had krausen flowing out of my airlock on day 2 of fermentation. In my sleepy haze I grabbed the nearest tube around and fitted a blowoff. This morning I realized that the tube that I had attached unsanitized was the same I use for draining the wort from my mash tun. I believe unboiled grains can easily cause a lacto infection, and I'm guessing simply rinsing the tube with hot water after use on brew day was not enough to clear out any nasties. I may be being paranoid here, but is it difficult to infect a beer at high krausen due to the yeast activity or is it really no different than after fermentation has slowed down? Thanks!

Old 05-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2621 Times on 2275 Posts
Likes Given: 1864

Since you rinsed it with hot water,I think you're ok. Besides,even at high krausen,co2 is being produced,as is alcohol. You should be fine,since it dumping out,not in.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #3
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2905 Times on 2834 Posts
Likes Given: 136

I wouldn't worry. Like unionrdr said, the fermenting beer is pushing stuff out. I'd remove it sanitize it when you get home, but I wouldn't worry.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

Old 05-23-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
liebertron
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

in my experience, its WAY harder to actually infect your beer than many people make it out to be

Old 08-22-2011, 06:43 AM   #5
DannyD
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

But when does beer get infected? after boiling, cooling, after fementation?

I had a incident with cooling wort (wort...kid...bath water....)so a little cold bath water fell in the cooling wort? pitched slurry and fermentation started very soon after......

Old 08-22-2011, 07:07 AM   #6
dutchoven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You're probably fine, at high krausen, the yeast will be pushing out quite a bit of CO2. I would, however, replace the blow off tube with a sanitized tube when you get a chance.