Noob - Recipe Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSpeed

Reaction score
I used to homebrew quite a bit about 8 years ago. On a whim I stopped in at my LHBS to buy some ingredients for a pale ale. I was impressed with the variety and packaging of the hops since I last brewed. I couldn't remember a few details about recipes and hops so I overbought some stuff. Here's what I bought:
6# Coopers light DME
1# Thomas Fawcett brown malt for steeping
2 oz Centennial AA 10.6% for bittering
1 oz Hallertau for finishing/aroma
Whirlfloc Tablets
Nottingham yeast

So here are my questions.
How much of the Centennial hops do I need to brew a pale ale/bitter ? I plan to boil 2.5 gallons for an hour. The 1 oz should be plenty..correct ? Maybe a little less ?

If I'm trying to go for atypical pale ale/bitter is steeping the brown malt necessary ? I want a color similar to Bass.

I think I should have bought Fuggle instead of Hallertau for aroma. I don't think this is a big deal correct ?

Thanks !

Hallertauer won't be as floral as fuggles, but should still provide a very nice aroma.
Fuggles: Aroma: Mild, soft, grassy, floral aroma
Hallertauer Hersbrucker: Aroma: Pleaseant, mild spicy flavor, clean, neutral flavor
Hallertauer Mittelfrueh: Aroma: Pleasant, assertive, mild herbal aroma
You probably have the Hersbrucker

As far as how much to use for bittering, how bitter do you like your brews? For an avereage to low bitterness, I would use one ounce, if you like it a little more bitter, throw in both ounces. One ounce will not quite make it to the style guidlines (30-50 IBU) at 20.6 IBU in a 2.5 gallon boil. Both ounces will give you 41.3 IBU.

Back