We no need no stinking beer gun... - Page 74 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > We no need no stinking beer gun...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #731
jcoxen
BOFH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
jcoxen's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
North-Central, Pennsylvania
Posts: 256
Liked 62 Times on 38 Posts


If the beer is properly carbonated already, you're not lowering the carbonation of the beer - as long as you don't leave the pressure set low. All you're doing is lowering the dispensing pressure to reduce foaming. Once you're done bottling you should return the keg pressure to it's normal setting.


__________________
Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:34 PM   #732
badbrew
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
l.a., ca
Posts: 1,372
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoxen View Post
If the beer is properly carbonated already, you're not lowering the carbonation of the beer - as long as you don't leave the pressure set low. All you're doing is lowering the dispensing pressure to reduce foaming. Once you're done bottling you should return the keg pressure to it's normal setting.
I'm not sure we're on the same page. I am talking about the pressure drop from keg airspace pressure to a bottle with no pressurized airspace. The bottle will draw co2 out of the beer over time to even the pressure between beer and bottle airspace. I'm just curious if it is more than say 20%. So if the volumes of co2 in the keg is 2.5 then when it's in the bottle with 1/2" airspace, does it drop to 2.0? Probably not a big deal, just curious.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #733
djt17
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
djt17's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Central MN
Posts: 796
Liked 56 Times on 49 Posts


Don't leave headspace; cap on foam.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #734
JasontheBeaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
JasontheBeaver's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Beaverton, OR
Posts: 226
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrew View Post
I'm not sure we're on the same page. I am talking about the pressure drop from keg airspace pressure to a bottle with no pressurized airspace. The bottle will draw co2 out of the beer over time to even the pressure between beer and bottle airspace. I'm just curious if it is more than say 20%. So if the volumes of co2 in the keg is 2.5 then when it's in the bottle with 1/2" airspace, does it drop to 2.0? Probably not a big deal, just curious.
I was concerned about this exact same issue. Especially when I read that some people fill several bottles at a time, then cap them all at once.
Personally, I fill a bottle and immediately cap it, one by one. It might be a slower process this way but I want my beer exposed to atmosphere as little as possible for both carbonation and contamination issues.
To answer your question, bottling in this method I do not notice any difference in carb levels between my bottled beer vs. my keg on tap.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:11 AM   #735
dezman
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Marquette, Michigan
Posts: 148
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I did this method (sort of) just to see how well it worked. I just stuck the racking cane on the tap and lowered the pressure. I didn't use the stopper or cut the angle on the cane. I was surprised to find out this worked just fine! Filled about a half a case of bottles to try to open up a keg. This is awsome! Thanks for this thread best idea ever!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:19 AM   #736
r2eng
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Eagle, Idaho, Idaho
Posts: 1,479
Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts


I am sure there is a little loss (PV=nRT and all), but I have never really noticed a difference in carb level between keg and bottle.
__________________
Engineer, Animator, Brewer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #737
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
brettwasbtd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Damascus, MD
Posts: 1,801
Liked 161 Times on 117 Posts


Note to all - Be carefully when attaching the racking cane to the picnic tap... I totally applied to much force and split the spout on my picnic tap. This caused a leak when trying to fill... made a huge mess

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #738
JasontheBeaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
JasontheBeaver's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Beaverton, OR
Posts: 226
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwasbtd View Post
Note to all - Be carefully when attaching the racking cane to the picnic tap... I totally applied to much force and split the spout on my picnic tap. This caused a leak when trying to fill... made a huge mess
Been there, broke that.... Shoulda warned you, my bad.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:36 AM   #739
LabRatBrewer
Lost in a Maze
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
LabRatBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Laguna Niguel, CA
Posts: 3,055
Liked 1045 Times on 727 Posts


Used the plan in the OP and it worked beautifully. Also attached a second racking cane to a picnic faucet then to a keg filled with CO2 only, and used it to blow out the oxygen of each bottle before adding the beer. Not sure if this is effective, but it seemed to work.

Thanks for the great idea.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #740
elproducto
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Ontario
Posts: 1,116
Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts


I've always had trouble with foam using this setup.. and a lot of wasted beer. last night for kicks, I tried purging the keg, and dialing up to just 1-2 psi. I filled a chilled bottle right from the tap and it worked PERFECTLY. I gave it a tap to foam, and capped on that.


__________________
Fall Line Brewing Company

Keg 1 - German Pils
Keg 2 - Falconer's Flight IPA
Keg 3 - Chocolate Porter

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Never dump your beer!!! Patience IS a virtue!!! Time heals all things, even beer! Revvy Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 548 01-26-2016 07:14 AM
Beer Gun? We LOVE the Stinking Beer Gun! Evan! Equipment/Sanitation 31 11-30-2009 02:20 AM
Beer in Hell: original painting of demons and sinners brewing beer! aflyershckyfan For Sale 7 06-06-2009 03:50 AM
Stinking cider's got me worried Reddy Cider Forum 5 02-28-2008 10:22 PM


Forum Jump