Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > We no need no stinking beer gun...

Old 03-04-2011, 08:05 PM   #611
Kayos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

When I did this the other day, I didn't need to tilt it over. I made it foam over a little when I put in the extra shot of beer just before capping. As long as you're capping on foam, it's purged.

Primary #2: ESB
Big Blind: Pucker Bitter
Small Blind:
Tasty Remembrances: White 'N Nerdy, Dynamite Red (Hop bursted), APA, The Bonaduce (irish Red), runners stout, ridgeback brown,

from my big ass computer sitting on my floor

Old 03-11-2011, 02:39 PM   #612
Lodovico
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I've been using this method forever with pretty great results. Even in competitions where I bottle and send them away, I've never gotten dinged for carb levels.

I have a question though. Any tips or suggestions for using this method when bottling a REALLY carbonated beer. My Belgian Pale Ale is highly carbonated (to style) and even with the slightest PSI, it is really hard to bottle without a lot of foaming. I always chill the bottles and follow the same routine I do for bottling other beers but I'm having trouble because of the really high carbonation.

Anything else I can try in order to bottle some of these for competition?

Does it hurt your carb levels if you have to let the bottle sit half full until the foam goes down and then continue? By letting it sit, I'm talking like 20 minutes at least for this foam to go down. Thoughts?

On Draft: Mild
On Draft: IPA
On Draft: Belgian Pale Ale
In Bottle: Brett Porter
In Bottle: Flanders Red
In Bottle: Oud Bruin
Fermentor: Biere De Garde
Fermentor: Belgian Amber Ale

Old 03-11-2011, 08:22 PM   #613
Shaggyt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodovico View Post
My Belgian Pale Ale is highly carbonated (to style) and even with the slightest PSI, it is really hard to bottle without a lot of foaming. I always chill the bottles and follow the same routine I do for bottling other beers but I'm having trouble because of the really high carbonation...

Does it hurt your carb levels if you have to let the bottle sit half full until the foam goes down and then continue? By letting it sit, I'm talking like 20 minutes at least for this foam to go down. Thoughts?
I had the same issue with my BPA...most foam ever using this method and my bottles/hoses were all chilly. I'm interested in hearing of any successful attempts with Belgians/high carb brews.

As far as the carb levels after all that foam...lower than expected. I gave some bottles to some folks at work and sampled some for myself (of course). They didn't notice but I thought the carb levels were quite low as a result of allowing foam to subside.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #614
elproducto
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sorry.. couldn't find my answer but is it s 3/8" racking cane or 1/4"?

Keg 1 - German Pils
Keg 2 - Falconer's Flight IPA
Keg 3 - Chocolate Porter

Old 03-19-2011, 09:11 PM   #615
RandalG
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Went fairly well for my first time although I need to work some kinks out of my process to make it flow better.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:52 AM   #616
NewBrewB
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodovico View Post

I have a question though. Any tips or suggestions for using this method when bottling a REALLY carbonated beer.

I'm not sure what design you are using, but I have a tire valve stuck at an angle through the #2 stopper and I keep the stopper jammed down as hard as I can, start the flow of beer with the picnic tap, and then press on the tire valve air release really slowly and watch the beer liquid level rise up to the top of the bottle. When it gets to the top, I let go of the picnic tap and pull the whole thing out. Since the vertical pipe takes up space, that lowers the level of the beer a bit and gives me enough time to grab a sanitized bottle cap. Then, I set the cap on top of the bottle and about this time, the foam is starting to rise up and 'floats' the cap. I cap it right then and rinse off a few drips of beer from the side of the bottle....

I can't imagine that this method would be any different with a "highly-carbonated" beer but maybe you just need a helper to put the caps on faster, while you're setting down your homemade beergun?

Old 03-25-2011, 06:07 AM   #617
TomOliver
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Another happy BMBF user here.

Thanks BierMuncher!

Tom

Old 03-25-2011, 06:24 AM   #618
dallasdb
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I just got my kegging equipment a week ago but with a trip to see family, a backyard to put in and last weeks of spring College semester I won't be brewing until May! I will definitely be trying this.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:02 PM   #619
giligson
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When your beer is carbed to a higher volume then "push" it with a higher pressure (like 15psi or so) this will help reduce foaming inline but beware - when you come off with your bung you must be ready to cap very fast as it will want to gush more out of the bottle.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:21 PM   #620
tomije87
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know this was mentioned somewhere in this thread, but I wanted to confirm it.

I had a 6 pack filled using the BMBF method that I left in my car for about 6 weeks. There were some pretty significant temp swings that it was subjected to (probably low 20s to low 60s). I opened one up last night and it tasted both flat and oxygenated (couldn't even finish the bottle).

I had a few bottles from the same batch, filled at the same time, that I kept in my refrigerator the whole time. I cracked one of those open and it tasted just fine.

Long story short, I was a bit amazed at how quickly the quality of the beer can deteriorate, but I have to attribute that mostly to the lack of proper storage and significant temp swings. I was a bit nervous after I tasted the first bottle that the rest of the batch was a waste. However, that theory was quickly put to rest.

Lesson learned: store the BMBF bottles at a relatively stable temperature, and enjoy the beer for weeks, months, perhaps years after!