We no need no stinking beer gun... - Page 33 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > We no need no stinking beer gun...

Old 03-10-2009, 06:31 PM   #321
TurboBrew
Recipes 

Dec 2007

I just used this method but I dont have a picnic faucet so I just shoved a 1/2" OD hose into my chrome faucet. Worked fine except for a little leaking when the pressure built up in the bottle. It wasn't much ( about 4oz after filling a gallon) and just put a bucket under the curve in the hose to catch the drips.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:00 AM   #322
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Liked 795 Times on 438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBrewz View Post
Just wanted to let you know that my first foray into using the BMBF was to enter the Slurp and Burp Open in Portland. I won a gold for one of my beers that was filled with the BMBF! Thank you!
Gotta like it when results speak for themselves.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:04 AM   #323
TerapinChef

Recipes 

Nov 2007
St. Clair Shores, MI, Michigan
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

So I have now bottled with the BMBF:
1 growler to take to work.
2-22's to take to a friends house.
The rest of the batch in 12oz bottles to keep for later.
I have to say it was relatively easy. I'm not really set up to make it a breeze, but cut me a break it was my first time. If these end up coming out well, I'm giving up on my bottling bucket. This was easy, relatively fast (although I either need a bench capper or SWMBO to do this quickly), and I love that I had precise control on my carbonation. And that I got to sample a bit from the keg before/during/after bottling.

Thanks BM!

See My Profile for Current Brews

My 3/4 Ton Brewstand "Build"

The Belgian Lady Brewery

Old 03-11-2009, 02:17 AM   #324
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2008
Ocala Florida
Liked 85 Times on 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerapinChef View Post
So I have now bottled with the BMBF:
1 growler to take to work.
2-22's to take to a friends house.
The rest of the batch in 12oz bottles to keep for later.
I have to say it was relatively easy. I'm not really set up to make it a breeze, but cut me a break it was my first time. If these end up coming out well, I'm giving up on my bottling bucket. This was easy, relatively fast (although I either need a bench capper or SWMBO to do this quickly), and I love that I had precise control on my carbonation. And that I got to sample a bit from the keg before/during/after bottling.

Thanks BM!
I used this to transfer all 5 gallons of Ed's famous Apfelwein from the keg after carbonation to a pile of bottles. Worked flawlessly.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:33 AM   #325
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO

Quote:
...This was easy, relatively fast (although I either need a bench capper or SWMBO to do this quickly)...
Like most things we guys do with our left or right hand...a few more sessions and you'll have everything down to a nice fluid motion...and you won't need the SWMBO.

I'm talking about using the wing capper of course....

Old 03-11-2009, 05:07 PM   #326
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2008
Ocala Florida
Liked 85 Times on 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
Like most things we guys do with our left or right hand...a few more sessions and you'll have everything down to a nice fluid motion...and you won't need the SWMBO.

I'm talking about using the wing capper of course....
True on that. I sit on a small roll around chair near my keg, have all the bottles on a bottle tree to my right (sanatized) with the caps in sanitizer in the bowl on top of the tree. I grab a bottle, fill it, remove wand, top it, place a cap on it to keep bacteria out and move it over to the left & sit it on the garage floor. When I'm done, I cap them all.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:42 PM   #327
TerapinChef

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I was capping them as quickly as possible. I filled about 3 then capped them. Repeat. A lot. Is this not necessary?

The Belgian Lady Brewery

Old 03-11-2009, 11:19 PM   #328
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO

Quote:
I was capping them as quickly as possible. I filled about 3 then capped them. Repeat. A lot. Is this not necessary?
I can fit about 15 bottles in a standard bucket. I fill those all...then move them to the table...cap them all loosely and then begin crimping.

Unless you have a real contaminated environment, rushing to get a cap on each bottle once it is filled is not necessary.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:37 PM   #329
giligson
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Vancouver Area - Canada
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just to report in:
Filling all my bottles from Cornys this way.
Using 10psi filling pressure.
Each bottle is capped as soon as its filled.
I use a 1 gallon bucket upside down inside a 3 gallon bucket as a support stand - this catches the runnoff when I am filling (for 5 gallons I lose about 1-2 bottles worth of beer)
Have also done a sparkling wine into champagne bottles at 20psi filling pressure.
My beer lasts at least 4 months with no off oxygen flavour (regular caps) - I don't know how it does after 4 months since its all gone by then.

Has this been put into a wiki yet? I think it should be considered a standard technique!

Old 03-23-2009, 04:56 PM   #330
TerapinChef

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Here Here. I couldn't agree with him more. We'll get those corny sales up yet...soon even the bottlers will be kegging. Anybody carb their beer outside of the fridge/keezer to do this? I know it takes a bit more, but I just keep running low on fridge space. Man I need somebody to help me drink about 4 cases of beer. Time for a party I guess...Good thing it's almost spring.

The Belgian Lady Brewery