Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > We no need no stinking beer gun...

Old 12-08-2007, 04:05 AM   #101
New2HomeBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

This is awesome. I tried it for the first time today and it seemed to work great. Granted this is my first time botteling anything, but it went off without a hitch, and I didn't even neeed to buy anything

Thanks for the great thread and idea BeirMuncher!

Primary #1- Panty Dropping Cherry Apple Cider
Primary #2- empty
Primary #3- empty

Secondary #1- My First All Grain (American Amber)
Secondary #2- Honey Do Wheat

Up Next: ? my second AG

On Tap- Sadly Nothing

Old 12-08-2007, 05:25 AM   #102
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 709 Times on 401 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2HomeBrew
...Thanks for the great thread and idea BeirMuncher!
No problem. Pay it forward and spread the word. Every BMBF that is made out there leads to more beer being bottled and shared.

rayf Likes This 
Old 12-11-2007, 05:58 PM   #103
New2HomeBrew
Recipes 

Thanks again BeirMuncher! Filled up the rest of a case last night for my trip this upcoming weekend. Glad that I finally will be able to share my efforts with my friends and family.

Primary #1- Panty Dropping Cherry Apple Cider
Primary #2- empty
Primary #3- empty

Secondary #1- My First All Grain (American Amber)
Secondary #2- Honey Do Wheat

Up Next: ? my second AG

On Tap- Sadly Nothing

Old 12-14-2007, 03:31 AM   #104
ModlrMike
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I used this setup yesterday to bottle some cider for SWMBO. Worked like a charm. I was thinking... I could drive a 14G IV cathelon or needle into the stopper, attach some IV tubing with the sliding closure, and regulate the filling speed that way instead of trying to deform the stopper each time.
Carboy 2: empty
Carboy 3: empty
Aging: Welch's White - 1 gal
Aging: Cranberry/black cherry - 1 gal
Aging: JOAM - 1 gal
dr_al Likes This 
Old 12-14-2007, 03:08 PM   #105
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Default Updated Filling Technique for Long Term Bottle Storage

One of the enemies of bottled beer is oxygen. It won’t necessarily cause an infection, but even slight oxygenation can impart some off-flavors in a beer.

BJCP Description:
Oxidized - Any one or combination of winy/vinous, cardboard, papery, or sherry-like aromas and flavors.

This is especially true if the beer is a light-medium style like a Blonde, Kolsch…etc. For short term storage (party, tail gate, gift giving), this isn’t generally a problem. However, if you are going to store these beers for any length of time (3-4 weeks or more), it’s worth making every effort to push out as much O2 as possible.

One of the easiest ways to purge oxygen from your bottles using the BMBF is to cap-on-foam. That is, get the bottle to slightly “gush” and cap right on top of the foam. The foam after all is very near 100% CO2. Getting your bottles to foam consistently is a bit tricky so I thought I’d share my technique. (This technique is also used by our local micro brewery that fills their 22-Oz bombers by hand.)

Here’s my process for getting the bottle to foam, without loosing too much CO2 or beer.

1) Fill your bottles normally. Follow Bobby’s technique for removing the cane and squeezing in a bit more to get a slightly higher fill. (Don’t go too high if you’re planning on entering this into a competition…you’ll get dinging a bit.)
2) Once you have your bottles moved over to the capping table, place a cap on the bottle, hold it on firmly with your index finger and tip the bottle upside down and back (rather gently)…once.
3) Set the bottle down and wait a moment and have your capper ready. You’ll see the cap burp once or twice as the O2 is pushed out.
4) Once you see the cap actually start to rise on top of the foam…cap it. There will be minimal foam spillage depending on the CO2 levels.
5) You’ve now capped a bottle that should be devoid of all oxygen, and captured most of the CO2 that was in the foam (this will be reabsorbed into solution.)

As an added safety measure, I’d recommend using O2 absorbing bottle caps. Between the CO2 purge that occurred using the above method, and employing O2 absorbing caps, the shelf life of your beer will be indefinite.

Hope this helps. (I had to learn the hard way about oxidized beer)

Old 12-16-2007, 04:01 AM   #106
Indiana Red
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just want to chime in here.
I put together one of these and bottled the last gallon or so of my 14month old Eisbock in little 6.3s Worked like a champ. My own observations. Get more than 3-4 ready at a time as the beer in the line and cane slowly foams up and an ounce or two needs to be purged b4 the next set of bottles. Even still, the first one foams a bit more than the subsequents. I had my EB pretty fizzy (about 3volumes) and quite cold so even loosing a bit during this will be fine I think.
I pulled the tip off of my bottling wand as the length was about right already. Can't wait to take one to Pokernight/HB meeting this week.
If BM PMs me his addy, I would send him a couple little Christmas presents to express my appreciation.
Primary Dopplebock - #1501
Primary Cherry Meade #1502
Planning Berliner Weisse
BoiseBrewBlog.com

Old 01-07-2008, 02:20 AM   #107
trent
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 14 Posts

I just built one of these today, and I must say it works fantastic. Thanks for the tips!

Old 01-07-2008, 02:38 AM   #108
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

The owner of my LHBS game me a discount because of this baby. I bought my #2 stopper and a #3 (I have a 60+ Grolsh swing-top collection) and he questioned why I was putting a stopper in the Grolsh bottle. After the explanation he looked wonderfully amused and I'm sure he'll be showing other this.

Blichman is NOT happy, BierMuncher!

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Old 01-07-2008, 02:47 AM   #109
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Dean
...Blichman is NOT happy, BierMuncher!
Ah...yes...but friends, neighbors and family of homebrewers are very happy.

Share the wealth...
superdave12 Likes This 
Old 01-07-2008, 05:55 AM   #110
Brett0424
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've been doing this for quite some time and know several people who have been as well. I stick the bottle filler in my picnic tap rather than the racking cane. The trick is to keep everything as cold as possible so the c02 will be retained in solution as much as possible and, like said before...cap on foam. I have worked on a brewery bottling line and capping on foam was the most important factor in the process.