Attempting 40%+ ABV beer... "Barley Brandy" - Page 12 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Attempting 40%+ ABV beer... "Barley Brandy"
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 05-27-2011, 01:12 PM   #111
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 516 Times on 415 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't **** with the peated malt. I know, you're going for some of that "scotch"-like character, but that stuff is just nasty.

That cherrywood-smoked malt, though... REAL nice. I think a lot more complementary to the HUGE amount of malt and maple that you're going to have.

I don't see the peated malt as being nearly as complementary. It's *OK* in a fairly aggressive stout, something that's already loaded up with black patent and roasted barley, but otherwise I don't think that acrid flavor is what you really want.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 05-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #112
DakotaRules
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Melrose, MA
Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

Good to know, I've never used peat. This is very interesting! PTN is going to explode when he finds this thread.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:10 PM   #113
bwomp313
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Kingston, NY
Liked 32 Times on 25 Posts

Yeah I used 4 oz once of peat malt in a Wee Heavy and it ended up with a very strong manure flavor. Big mistake.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #114
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

May 2008
Norton, MA
Liked 755 Times on 602 Posts

yeah, Peat is freakin' heavy duty stuff.

While I always respect Da Bird's opinion... I'm still a bit undecided. I think the residual sweetness (concentrated) and the high alcohol could use a hint of peat. Nothing huge, just a little something to cut the sweetness. We'll see.

I don't know that the smoked will hold up. I think it is a much more sublte taste that will be get buried under everything else.

We'll see. I've got three days to settle on a final grain bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #115
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA

How 'bout a little roasted barley to accomplish that? Add some of those kinds of characteristics - add a little bite - but without as much risk of totally 'effin' it up?

I actually really like that idea. I'd use a little RB to offset some of that cloying sweetness, I think that's a better, complementary flavor than the peat.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie

Old 05-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #116
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

May 2008
Norton, MA
Liked 755 Times on 602 Posts

I don't hate that idea.

Every time I think about the peated though I think of 40% + ABV.

I hear ya though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:34 PM   #117
DakotaRules
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Melrose, MA

Well you can think of a rusty nail. Scotch and Drambue. Mmm Scotch

Old 05-27-2011, 02:34 PM   #118
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA

I may have just talked myself into doing a barleywine with a couple ounces of RB this weekend. I don't really drink a lot of BW's because I don't like really heavy, sweet beers, but I'm thinking that maybe, what... 4 ounces? 6 ounces? of RB in a 5-gallon batch would add a nice counterbalance.

**** it. Three day weekend. Brew it now, it'll be ready for September.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:35 PM   #119
DakotaRules
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Melrose, MA

Nice bird! I have a summer barley that'll be ready in a few weeks!

Old 05-27-2011, 02:37 PM   #120
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA

Ain't gonna be no 20% ABV, though!

Got to see what I've got for malt kicking around. Dakota, you got some crystal you can lend a brother?