Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to go about splitting a batch
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2011, 10:51 AM   #1
Scruffy1207
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 605
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default How to go about splitting a batch

Inspired by a few posts on here I decided to try the experiment myself. I am making a stout and splitting it into 5-1 gallon batches. 1 being the control (no additions), a raspberry, coffee, vanilla, and maybe blackberry for the last. I was wondering how I should approach doing this. I got 5-1g plastic buckets and some extra hop bags. Should I do everything as normal, then split the batch just before pitching the yeast and split the dry yeast and pitch?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvstrat

Maybe if your boil kettle was a sheet pan, and your heat source was satan's a**hole, then you could possibly boil off 60 percent of your batch in an hour.
Scruffy1207 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
SD-SLIM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 1,184
Liked 61 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy1207 View Post
Inspired by a few posts on here I decided to try the experiment myself. I am making a stout and splitting it into 5-1 gallon batches. 1 being the control (no additions), a raspberry, coffee, vanilla, and maybe blackberry for the last. I was wondering how I should approach doing this. I got 5-1g plastic buckets and some extra hop bags. Should I do everything as normal, then split the batch just before pitching the yeast and split the dry yeast and pitch?
I would be careful with little 1 gallon buckets....they never really seal that well, and make sure they are food grade or you will get the smell/taste of the bucket in your beer. I use 1 gallon tea jars that I bought at Target, connect a blow off tube and your good to go.
As for your experiment....make sure you accurately divide your yeast, additionally be aware of dry yeast explosions in small containers is a big mess, so dont put the lid on for 24 hours...instead sanitize a piece of tin foil and loosely cover the top of the bucket. The rest I would do as you normally do...and dont forget to soak the vanilla bean in vodka.
Good Luck, Happy Brewing!
SD-SLIM is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
Scruffy1207
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 605
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-SLIM

I would be careful with little 1 gallon buckets....they never really seal that well, and make sure they are food grade or you will get the smell/taste of the bucket in your beer. I use 1 gallon tea jars that I bought at Target, connect a blow off tube and your good to go.
As for your experiment....make sure you accurately divide your yeast, additionally be aware of dry yeast explosions in small containers is a big mess, so dont put the lid on for 24 hours...instead sanitize a piece of tin foil and loosely cover the top of the bucket. The rest I would do as you normally do...and dont forget to soak the vanilla bean in vodka.
Good Luck, Happy Brewing!
I bought 1g buckets from my lhbs that were meant for LME. Thanks for the vodka advice, also should I soak the ground coffee or the berries in vodka (obviously in separate containers)?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvstrat

Maybe if your boil kettle was a sheet pan, and your heat source was satan's a**hole, then you could possibly boil off 60 percent of your batch in an hour.
Scruffy1207 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
SD-SLIM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 1,184
Liked 61 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

If you bought your berries frozen, just thaw them and pitch and you will be ok. As for your coffee, its your call on soaking....coffee has such a high acidity that bacteria doesnt grow on it, however if it gets dropped on to a dirty surface it could have dirt on it...so the vodka would sanitize it, but if you feel its clean then just pitch.
Also on the coffee beans, if you are using whole beans, they contain a lot of oil...wrap them in a paper bag or paper towels for a day (if possible) to soak up as much oil as possible.
SD-SLIM is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
Scruffy1207
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 605
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Right on, is ground coffee better or do I take the beans and crush them or not worry. Lastly, I know I'm asking a lot, do I need to rack the beer to a secondary for the berries or can I toss them in at the last two weeks?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvstrat

Maybe if your boil kettle was a sheet pan, and your heat source was satan's a**hole, then you could possibly boil off 60 percent of your batch in an hour.
Scruffy1207 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
SD-SLIM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 1,184
Liked 61 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy1207
Right on, is ground coffee better or do I take the beans and crush them or not worry. Lastly, I know I'm asking a lot, do I need to rack the beer to a secondary for the berries or can I toss them in at the last two weeks?
I have used ground coffee and whole beans and got the same result (based on my palette), so that's your call....as for your berries, on this particular kind of beer, I would just place them in the primary...unless you are leaving it longer than three weeks, then I would rack to a secondary...after three weeks, yeast will start to do nasty things to your trub....now there are some people that will say they have left beer on trub for three months, but since and my experience says "No Bueno"!
SD-SLIM is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:10 PM   #7
Scruffy1207
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 605
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Thanks, I will hopefully have a successful brewday!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvstrat

Maybe if your boil kettle was a sheet pan, and your heat source was satan's a**hole, then you could possibly boil off 60 percent of your batch in an hour.
Scruffy1207 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:15 PM   #8
dcp27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Medford, MA
Posts: 4,118
Liked 123 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Since you're just adding secondary additions, I'd ferment the whole batch together, then split it. No worries about splitting things and then you guarantee its all the same but your new additions
dcp27 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:44 PM   #9
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SIDNEY, ohio
Posts: 3,521
Liked 68 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default

what about the head space in the buckets? I know in primary it is a non issue but once in secondary won't that cause issues?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethepoolguy View Post
I started brewing 69 days ago, 35 gal so far. SWMBO hasnt complained yet! Better than the hookers, gambling, and crack I used to do, I guess.
BALDGUT BREWS
OHIOSTEVE is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:41 PM   #10
dcp27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Medford, MA
Posts: 4,118
Liked 123 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSTEVE View Post
what about the head space in the buckets? I know in primary it is a non issue but once in secondary won't that cause issues?
only for the coffee & vanilla. the two fruit ones will ferment and fill the space with CO2 plus the fruit should take up extra space. I'd just fill the coffee & vanilla ones first, or make 5.5 gallons and then once the trub is removed should have 5 gals left. in any case, a week or 2 with a lil headspace shouldnt be an issue
dcp27 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools



Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS