Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How long for dry hopping?

Old 05-19-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
WhenInMinnesota
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How long for dry hopping?

How long is too long for dry hopping? Does it vary by hop variety? 2 weeks seems to be about the general consensus for dry hopping that I've found on the interwebs but has anyone gone longer than that? And if so, could you tell a difference in the beer compared to a shorter time?

Old 05-19-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
ThickHead
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

7-10 days is sufficient time. Two weeks and up is pushing it.

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 05-19-2011, 03:50 PM   #3
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickHead View Post
7-10 days is sufficient time. Two weeks and up is pushing it.
+1

A week is pretty standard.

Shorter than that and you don't get all of those wonderful aromatic compounds.
Longer and the hops can start breaking down and give you a grassy taste.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
badhabit
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

There is obviously lots of opinion about how long is long enough. I always dry hop two weeks. The best technique that I have found for getting the most out of dry hopping is to rack on to the dry hop in your secondary. But that too is the subject of a host of opinions. If you can split your batch and try more than one technique you are able to make nice comparisons and determine wich you prefer....at least for that style and that hop.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5937 Times on 4232 Posts
Likes Given: 1515

I've dryhopped for as little as three days, and as long as 10 days in a carboy. I've dryhopped in the keg (at fridge temps) for much longer.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 05-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
badmajon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I think you should put a hop sack into the keg when you cold condition and then keep it in there. It really helps bring out that wonderful nosey hop profile.

But to answer your question I think most people do it 2 weeks, I just put it in a paint strainer bag and throw it in the keg like I said.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:45 PM   #7
wedge421
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I go for a week and always had great results. Ive done 2 weeks and had off issues.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:37 AM   #8
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3359 Times on 3245 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I've gone as short as 4 days and as long as two months. I've come the same conclusion as many others that the sweet spot is 7-10 days.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:43 PM   #9
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 324 Times on 269 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Firestone Walker Brewing in California has won the IPA category in the major commercial competitions (GABF, WBC) several times. They use a dry hopping contact time of 3 to 4 days and apparently dry hop twice for some styles (again using the short 3 to 4 day contact time).

I long ago found that extended contact time can produce a grassy flavor in the beer. I too revised my contact time downward to about a week, but the latest batches have been focusing on the shorter contact time espoused by F-W above. The hop flavor and aroma are excellent and it shortens my production time. I'm sold on the shorter time.
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brun-...?ref=bookmarks

Old 05-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #10
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
How long is too long for dry hopping? Does it vary by hop variety? 2 weeks seems to be about the general consensus for dry hopping that I've found on the interwebs but has anyone gone longer than that? And if so, could you tell a difference in the beer compared to a shorter time?

That is a 64 million dollar question.

Quote:
Firestone Walker Brewing in California has won the IPA category in the major commercial competitions (GABF, WBC) several times. They use a dry hopping contact time of 3 to 4 days and apparently dry hop twice for some styles (again using the short 3 to 4 day contact time).

If you listen to Vinny at Russian River, he says 2 weeks and do it twice like he does in the Pliny beers. While Matt at Firestone says short contact time. Both guys make top notch, award winning beer. It really depends on hop variety, temp, style of beer, and what you are looking for in a dryhop. I would suggest trying many different ways and find which you like the best for your beers. I have found the biggest thing to worry about is picking up oxygen while dry hopping and getting an oxidized hop flavor. I have since welded a 316 stainless steel hook to the bottom of my keg lids to hang my dry hops from. This allows me to purge all the oxygen out of the hops and bag before I rack my beer into it. Hoppy beers oxidize very easily.