Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Skipping the Bottling Bucket and Racking Straight to Bottles

Old 05-19-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
comet909
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Skipping the Bottling Bucket and Racking Straight to Bottles

I was talking with a friend after listening to an old Homebrew Podcast.

We got onto the idea of skipping the bucket. I know you could use the carbonation drops but those seem kind of expensive to spend-thrift like me.

I like the idea of measuring out your sugar and boiling it with water just like you normally would. Then, weigh the solution. Divide the total weight by an estimate of the number of beers your bottling. Weigh your Eye Dropper or Syringe. Draw sugar solution into syringe until you've got the weight. Mark the level on the syringe. Fill each bottle individually from the eye dropper or syringe.

Filling the bottles would take about 10 to 15 seconds. So for a batch your talking about 10 minutes. Resulting in less oxygen exposure. Less worry about priming sugar mixing homogenously. Less chance of infection and less dissinfecting and cleanup.

Anybody tried something like this? Thoughts?

Anybody ever try it this way?

Old 05-19-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
jsweet
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

The conventional wisdom is that you actually tend to get more bottle-to-bottle inconsistency when you add sugar per bottle. That said, I've never heard of anybody doing it with a marked syringe, so maybe that will make the difference.

I would not be at all concerned about the oxidation risk from racking to a bottling bucket, it is trivial to manage that. The other advantages you mention, I suppose are real if you really can get consistency with this method. If you do it, let us know how it works out.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
davefleck
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

Why make your life so hard? Bottling bucket sounds so much easier. You will also get less yeast sediment in the bottles

Old 05-19-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
comet909
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Is the yeast settlement you mention the stuff that would have fallen to the bottom of the bucket?

Old 05-19-2011, 02:21 PM   #5
brewmcq
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 2853

I skip the bottling bucket... always have. If people don't want stuff floating in their beer, I invite them to enjoy an ice cold Silver Bullet. :-)

What do YOU want out of this hobby? It's your hobby. Do it the way YOU want to do it. Don't depend on the rest of us to tell you how to do it.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:37 PM   #6
davefleck
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

It's the trub. Yeast, leftover grain and hops. It gets left behind when you transfer into another vessel, either the secondary and/or bottling bucket.

It you bottle without the bottling bucket the last few bottles may have a lot of yeast as its darn near impossible not to stir it up. Hate the idea of an otherwise great beer overshadowed by a mouthful of yeast

Old 05-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #7
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 45

sounds like a boatload of hassle to avoid spending a few bucks on a bottling bucket.Not to mention just a plain pain in the ass.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 05-19-2011, 02:57 PM   #8
dobberson24
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Why not just put a spigot on your primary and bottle straight from it?

Old 05-19-2011, 03:00 PM   #9
unionrdr
struggling author

Recipes 

Liked 2916 Times on 2523 Posts
Likes Given: 2054

I've got spigots on both of mine. It makes things easier. If your buckets don't have them,you can just get the spigots & use a step drill to make the right size hole. And if the spigot has threads,screw it into said hole,don't force it. Easier to assure no leaks that way. My bottling wand goes right into the spigots.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2868 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

How are you going to fill your bottles without aerating them? You going to do it with an auto siphon and bottling wand? You going to have someone try to hold the bottom of the autosiphon in place and above the trub layer while you attempt to manipulate the bottling wand to fill the bottles?

Besides, contrary to what many impatient noobs who open their bottles too soon and blame their uncarbonation on uneven mixing of the sugar (which is BS, the sugar mixes on it's own when you rack on top of it, and quite evenly as it is filling the bucket) priming solution mixes just fine on it's own.

Your way sounds more difficult than the way I do it, and manage to bottle a batch in 45 minutes.

And with my bottling bucket dip tube, I get nearly all my sediment free (from racking to a bottling bucket) beer.

But as I talk about in my bottling sticky, it's all about figuring out what works for you. If this way works for you, then go for it.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew