Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Belgian White witbier

Old 05-18-2011, 10:38 PM   #1
Hernando
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Default Belgian White witbier

Hello all. so for my second extract brew I wanted to do a Belgian white witbier. Found a recipe for a base start and of course I added some thing in here and there. I am concerned that something went wrong or perhaps I was sold the incorrect Wheat LME. My Beer is really dark instead of a nice light yellow it is more of a color you would find in a Brown Ale. I did double check the container that held the LME and it was a wheat LME but it was a lot darker than I expected. this is my first wheat beer and only my second beer brewed at home so I am not sure what the norm is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:57 PM   #2
noggins
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 61

what's the recipe, and where's the pics?

Old 05-18-2011, 11:00 PM   #3
kyle6286
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Interested in hearing the answer. I just brewed a Belgian Wheat last week, also my second brew, and I thought the same thing. It's in an ail pale now and I've only opened it once to check the gravity on it. I completely forgot to really look at the color, but I believe it got a little bit lighter. If my gravity readings are consistent this weekend, I will bottle and let you know on the color; maybe I'll even post a pic if I get a chance. I'm going to assume it will lighten in time.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:02 PM   #4
kyle6286
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I should mention I got mine from Midwest Supplies. I just checked the info on the beer on MS' website, and it's described as a light colored beer, naturally.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:02 PM   #5
alenub
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
and of course I added some thing in here and there. I am concerned that something went wrong ... so I am not sure what the norm is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I know I've taken you out of context mate, but I wanted to highlight those words -- if you want us to give you details on what happened, we need details from you. Be as specific as possible!

Old 05-18-2011, 11:29 PM   #6
onipar
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I've just bottled my Belgian White, and I think I can shed some light on this.

When the beer is in the bucket, it looks much darker than it is because there isn't light in there, and it is a large volume of beer all together. If you were to pour a sample into a cup, it'd look much lighter.

Also, it'll probably clear up a little after bottling.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:43 PM   #7
toronado13
Recipes 

Also, something I ran across early one with my first batch, which was also a wheat, was I didn't take it off the flame/heat during my LME addition, and ended up "burning" the extract a bit. Still tasted great, but just ended up not looking the color I wanted. I'm far from an expert, but I'm under the impression that it's harder to hit your mark when it comes to color with extracts...

Old 05-18-2011, 11:52 PM   #8
hudsonj6
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
When the beer is in the bucket, it looks much darker than it is because there isn't light in there, and it is a large volume of beer all together.
This goes for all beers. I just bottled a raspberry wheat and it looked like a dark red wine in the carboy and when I poured the last bit that didn`t fill a bottle into a glass to sample, it was super clear and no where near as dark.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:10 AM   #9
Hernando
Recipes 

I apologize for not being able to post the recipe in OP as I was at work. So here is the recipe and a pic.

Specialty grain:
.5 # Great western White Wheat Malt
.5 # Belgian Pilsner Malt

Extract 6# Wheat LME

Bittering Hops 2 oz. Hallertauer

Aromatic/Spice:

1.5 oz. Coriander seed/crushed manually
1 oz Bitter Orange Peel
.5 oz. Lavendar
.4 oz. Food grade rose petal

Yeast:
White Labs Belgian Wit Ale Yeast. Pitched @ 77 F.

Thanks for the replies. I did remove the pot from heat when adding the LME, The LME itself was surprisingly darker than expected. I understand it being darker in the bucket but it was dark in my tube when testing the O.G.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:12 AM   #10
Hernando
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenub View Post
I know I've taken you out of context mate, but I wanted to highlight those words -- if you want us to give you details on what happened, we need details from you. Be as specific as possible!
No worries. I am here to learn and share, not keep secrets. I just didn't have the info at work.