Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Ole Zion Church Saison

Old 09-15-2011, 10:34 PM   #41
cehlo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I doubled this recipe and brewed up a 10 gal batch with the plan to add some H2O and drop it down into the session ABV range. (Needed to do something for the women and the faint-hearted) Had some last minute problems and couldn't use my 25 gal brewkettle, so the boil was a bit of a challenge but we persisted. Ended up with ~ 8-9 gal and diluted up to almost 12.

Fermented in 15 gal glass carboy. Kegged 5 gal and bottled about the same last week. I don't have the g readings with me, but post boil and OG were exactly where I expected even with the issues we had. FG was actually a bit lower than expected but nothing wrong with that. Smelled and tasted great. Looking forward to drinking the finished product.

And looking forward to doing the original in the future. Next time I think we'll split the batch and make a big and little boy version.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:02 PM   #42
Native302
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

That's awesome! Please keep us informed how it turns out. I like the idea of turning this into a session beer. I may try that and omit the peppercorns.

Just buy a small swimming pool, throw everything in and mash it. Then open ferment in another swimming pool with all the yeast.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:19 AM   #43
Fritobandito
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So I finally cracked open my first bottle of this today. It's only 2.5 weeks in the bottle, but it tastes good so far. I left the peppercorns in the primary for the full 4 weeks and I can definitely taste quite a bit of pepper. It might even be a little overpowering honestly. Adding them with 2 weeks left probably would have been a better idea, but the pepper might mellow a bit.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:29 AM   #44
Native302
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritobandito
So I finally cracked open my first bottle of this today. It's only 2.5 weeks in the bottle, but it tastes good so far. I left the peppercorns in the primary for the full 4 weeks and I can definitely taste quite a bit of pepper. It might even be a little overpowering honestly. Adding them with 2 weeks left probably would have been a better idea, but the pepper might mellow a bit.
The pepper will mellow out for sure, I opened my first one at 6 weeks and the pepper was still noticeable, after 2 months it is a perfect blend of spice from the yeast and peppercorn

Just buy a small swimming pool, throw everything in and mash it. Then open ferment in another swimming pool with all the yeast.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:32 AM   #45
Fritobandito
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native302 View Post
The pepper will mellow out for sure, I opened my first one at 6 weeks and the pepper was still noticeable, after 2 months it is a perfect blend of spice from the yeast and peppercorn
The aroma is fine and the pepper isn't too strong. It's just the taste that it's SLIGHTLY too strong. I mean it might even be just me because I tend to judge my own brews pretty harshly.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:36 AM   #46
Native302
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Just give it some time to mature, it'll be good

Old 10-18-2011, 01:27 PM   #47
thompsng
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Hey! So I brewed this, and it has been in bottles for a little over a month but there is still quite a bit of suspended material. Apparently this is possibly the result of pectin extraction during the boil. Has anyone else experienced this?

Also, I used some store brand black peppercorns instead of pink peppercorns and I have noticed that the pepper flavor is slightly stale. I boiled them as per the directions, but also threw some into the post fermentation. Could this stale pepper flavor be the result of low quality peppercorns?

Otherwise, the flavor is really awesome. I like how the hop flavor interacts with the orange peel. This beer was also my driest fermenting to date! So that is exciting...

Thanks for the recipe and the input!

Nick

Old 10-18-2011, 05:45 PM   #48
Native302
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsng View Post
Hey! So I brewed this, and it has been in bottles for a little over a month but there is still quite a bit of suspended material. Apparently this is possibly the result of pectin extraction during the boil. Has anyone else experienced this?

Also, I used some store brand black peppercorns instead of pink peppercorns and I have noticed that the pepper flavor is slightly stale. I boiled them as per the directions, but also threw some into the post fermentation. Could this stale pepper flavor be the result of low quality peppercorns?

Otherwise, the flavor is really awesome. I like how the hop flavor interacts with the orange peel. This beer was also my driest fermenting to date! So that is exciting...

Thanks for the recipe and the input!

Nick
Did you add fruit to this? Should be no pectin at all......on the other hand I did have alot of haze in the bottles, but once they are in the fridge for 72+ hours that will all settle out. It will be semi cloudy due to the wheat.

As the pepper taset is concerned it Could be old peppercorns, not sure about it though

Glad you liked the recipe and as I said before give it time to mature

Cheers

Old 11-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #49
cehlo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Been meaning to update this for a while. I was really happy with the results both in the bottle and in the keg.

I used black peppercorns instead of pink and I did modify the citrus peel a bit and used equal amounts of lemon and orange peels and I also tossed in a small amount of fresh ginger that I had leftover from another batch.

The first few times I tried it, the coriander and ginger were rather prominent but have since mellowed very nicely and the citrus shines through at a nice level now. I think it's a really nice example of the saison and would definitely brew it again. I never really noticed the peppercorns and think a more peppery note would be a good thing. I would probably gently crack the peppercorns at the end of the boil or leave them in the fermenter.

Most of my friends enjoyed this on tap a few weeks ago but many of them were saison virgins and I think they were a bit confused by the slight funk of the style.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #50
Native302
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Anyone else brew this? I'm gonna do it again minus the peppercorn and orange peel, and try my luck with figs and ECY20 Bug Country.