Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > What makes a good Porter?

Old 05-24-2011, 01:37 PM   #31
RenoDean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

The recipe from CYBI for Black Butte Porter is really good. I recently used the recipe with San Fran Lager yeast and took third for porters in a local comp. I entered it as a baltic porter. I have made it with ale yeast also and it's great.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:54 PM   #32
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 194 Posts

I use around 10-15% C60, 5-10% chocolate and small amounts of biscuit and roasted barley. I like Maris Otter for the base grain over other pale malts or domestic 2 row.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #33
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 235 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Anyone barrel age their porter? I've got a batch of Bert Grant's Perfect Porter that's been in secondary for a couple weeks, and have the opportunity to pick up a barrel.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:43 PM   #34
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

My local Brewpub bourbon barrel conditions stout, porter, IPA, india brown, maibock, and maybe some others. They are all good to me. If you like good beer and good bourbon put good beer on good bourbon wood.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #35
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 78

It's only enough to prime the bottles. I doubt it makes any noticeable difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird400 View Post
Why use sugar.

Does it anything other than add to the ABV.

Should the low OG not be reached with all-grain.

Maybe I am strange like that but I feel that brewing all-grain is making beer, partial mash is cheating a bit

Old 05-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #36
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Hopefully color is key. Here are two commercial Porters and my entry for this year's Spring Fling.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #37
firebird400
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
You're not strange. You're wrong. You can feel however you want. That's your right. It is not, however, correct.

Sugar is used in beer. Many of the best beers on the planet use sugar as part of the grist, including many benchmark examples of styles. Sugar is just another ingredient, another weapon in a good brewer's arsenal. If you're going to dismiss sugar because you feel like it's cheating, you're deliberately denying yourself some excellent beers - like most of the Belgian styles - and displaying yourself as a less-than-knowledgeable brewer.

That's a blunt statement from a guy who's sick to death of pretentious hobbyists who poo-poo sugar. That attitude is a cultural holdover from the days when "homebrew" meant a little bit of hopped extract and a LOT of sugar. That's not what my recipe is, and it's not what a wise brewer's use of sugar means.

Now, if you really want the reasoning behind why there's sugar in the recipe and not just to take a cheap, passive-aggressive shot at people who use sugar, it's because I wanted to lighten the body slightly and maintain a given original gravity in a recipe that needs to be brewed on a system that can only handle a certain volume of grist. The original recipe was developed on a 3.5-bbl (4hl) system and was scaled down to 5 gallons. That required some tweaking.

Grumble,

Bob
Bob, that was in no way a cheap shop towards you

And yes I am a less-than-knowledgeable brewer, in fact a total noob and this is all very new to me so excuse me for not knowing, now however, I know

I am spending as much time as I can reading about home brewing these days, my brew "rig" if I can call it that is inop so I use the time learning and hopefully setting up recipes to go by when I finish upgrading my system.

Again Bob, I appreciate the post you posted and sorry if I made you grumble, non intended.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:15 PM   #38
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Sorry, brother. You didn't know you were stepping on a short-tempered land mine. As long as you're not angry at my overly-grumpy tone, I'm happy.

Anything I can do to help, you just send me a PM. As you can tell if you read my posts, I like to blather.

Cheers!

Bob

Old 05-24-2011, 11:22 PM   #39
firebird400
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
I use around 10-15% C60, 5-10% chocolate and small amounts of biscuit and roasted barley. I like Maris Otter for the base grain over other pale malts or domestic 2 row.
I have often wondered what the difference is between marris otter and pale.

I´ll have to google it

Old 05-25-2011, 01:19 AM   #40
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 235 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird400 View Post
I have often wondered what the difference is between marris otter and pale.

I´ll have to google it
MO is a 2 row hybrid developed in the UK in the 60s. It has a slightly maltier flavor profile, but is otherwise very similar to 2 row, since it is a 2 row. Many brewers will use 2 row instead of MO because of the price difference, but if it's a english ale, go with the MO for authenticity.