Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottling today - priming sugar question

Old 05-15-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
realjd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottling today - priming sugar question

So I working on my first batch of beer. I decided to try putting it in a secondary primarily so that I could get experience using the equipment. In the 5 gallon carboy, I discovered that I have less beer than expected.

It looks to me like 4 gallons instead of 5. I suspect that I didn't adequately account for fluid lost due to evaporation during the boil, and I didn't have a good way to accurately measure water by the gallon so I had to wing it on brew day a few weeks ago. It still tasted OK when I moved it to the secondary, so I'm not worried, but I'll be more careful next time.

So my question is - since I have 20% less beer, should I reduce the priming sugar by 20% before I bottle it? I made this from a Brewers Best kit and it came with a bag of priming sugar with instructions to mix the whole bunch in prior to bottling. But I also don't want bottle bombs!

I'm put it in my kegerator to cold crash on Friday and plan on bottling this evening after dinner.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
drkaeppel
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 141

A good rule of thumb for priming sugar is 1oz sugar per 1 gallon of beer.

Good Luck!

"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for the day.Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk the rest of his life." -Anonymous

Old 05-15-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
realjd
Recipes 

1 oz by volume or by weight? The kit bag isn't marked with a quantity so I'd have to measure it myself.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2967 Times on 2561 Posts
Likes Given: 2092

1 dry ounce is about 4 3/4tsp. It's about the same as measuring PBW per gallon. You just need to figure out how many gallons you've got there.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
JLW
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Try this calculator.

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Here is an oz to cup conversion tool.

http://www.convertunits.com/from/oz/to/cup+%5BUS%5D

I would recommend a cheap digital kitchen scale it come in hand for priming sugar and yeast starters.

Primary: 12-12-12 Wee Heavy, Stone Ruination Clone, Bell's Better brow Ale Clone and Saison d'Hiver
Secondary:
Botteled: All Columbus IPA, Chocolate Peppermint Baltic Porter, Ewalds Altbier, Hopslam Clone, Scottish Strong Ale, Fine Creek Saison, Not so Pale Pale Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Kegged: Indian Brown Ale

Old 05-15-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
jaycount
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLW View Post
Try this calculator.

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Here is an oz to cup conversion tool.

http://www.convertunits.com/from/oz/to/cup+%5BUS%5D

I would recommend a cheap digital kitchen scale it come in hand for priming sugar and yeast starters.
That is a calculator to convert from fl oz to cups. Priming sugar is normally measured by weight in ounces. So you're liable to come up short if you use that calculator.

3/4 cup of corn sugar is a safe bet. The best option by far is to get a kitchen scale and weigh it though, this allows you to modify the volumes of Co2 to style and weigh the priming sugar accordingly.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:49 PM   #7
realjd
Recipes 

Thanks for the help everyone!

Old 05-15-2011, 06:49 PM   #8
tvtoms
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Do you have an extra bottle? You could pour in water until you hit the same mark and then know the volume of beer for sure.
Yeah digital kitchen scales come in handy! 15 bucks or so these days will do it. Maybe 20.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:02 PM   #9
JLW
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycount View Post
That is a calculator to convert from fl oz to cups. Priming sugar is normally measured by weight in ounces. So you're liable to come up short if you use that calculator.

3/4 cup of corn sugar is a safe bet. The best option by far is to get a kitchen scale and weigh it though, this allows you to modify the volumes of Co2 to style and weigh the priming sugar accordingly.
Your right. I clicked on the wrong calculator. There are a bunch out there.

Until I purchased a scale it was a PITA to get accurate measurements. Scale is a must have piece of equipment.

Primary: 12-12-12 Wee Heavy, Stone Ruination Clone, Bell's Better brow Ale Clone and Saison d'Hiver
Secondary:
Botteled: All Columbus IPA, Chocolate Peppermint Baltic Porter, Ewalds Altbier, Hopslam Clone, Scottish Strong Ale, Fine Creek Saison, Not so Pale Pale Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Kegged: Indian Brown Ale

Old 05-15-2011, 07:08 PM   #10
jaycount
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvtoms View Post
Do you have an extra bottle? You could pour in water until you hit the same mark and then know the volume of beer for sure.
Yeah digital kitchen scales come in handy! 15 bucks or so these days will do it. Maybe 20.
Yeah I've seen alot on amazon in the $15-30 range that can cover from .1oz (hops measurements) to 10 lbs (grain measurements).

Measuring is good