Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First All Grain Brew

Old 05-15-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
ILBMF
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default First All Grain Brew

I've been doing partial mash brews for quite some time now and decided to take the all grain plunge. My first batch was my hop-bursted Simcoe IPA recipe. I ended up with a starting gravity of 1.071 using 14 lbs of pale 2 row.

How's that stack up for efficiency?? I took a 10 gallon Rubbermade cooler, installed a Parker ball valve...took a piece of 3/8'' thick plexiglass and cut it round to fit the cooler snugly and drilled literally thousands of 3/32'' holes in the plexiglass (yeah, I know). I used some West Systems epoxy to attach 4 pvc pipe legs to the plexi false bottom to get it up over the ball valve opening and also made a plexiglass handle for easy retrieval of the false bottom. This set up would have allowed the sparge water to drain at any speed I chose from just a few minutes to much longer. I had to crack the ball valve slightly to keep the flow rate way down. I took a fine screen bag and attached it to the end of the sparge hose to collect any loose grains which ended up being only a finger or two. This system seems to work well.

I let the sparging process go for a good hour and 20 minutes and still was barely tasting a very slight sweetness to the sparge water as I reached the 6 gallon mark which I expect is normal? I noticed a different style of foam on top of the boil compared to the partial mash brews with DME and it also seems the fermenting wort has a lighter color than the previous brews.

''I don't allow work during drinking hours''

Old 05-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
Judge
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds like it went reasonably well. Efficiency might be a tad low but perfecting the process is part of the fun...gives you a reason to brew again, and again, and again...

Old 05-15-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
ILBMF
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What do you suggest, recirculating some? I figured the starting gravity should have been at about 1.075 for efficient results. I'd like to hear some suggestions. That's why I come here...for the experienced member's suggestions, not that I had a problem, I just like to do things right as much as is possible.

''I don't allow work during drinking hours''