Cornstalk Ale ***Spotted Cow Inspired***(Gluten Reduced)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bh10

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 2565 Kolsch
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Excellent easy drinking lawnmower beer
I saw the thread about making a Spotted Cow Clone, so I went off of that and change it around a tad, since I was drinking a SC when I made the recipe. At the same time Ive been making beer for my wife out of Sorghum since she has Celiac, and while she doesnt get sever reactions, she is very sensitive to it and isnt a fan of Sorghum beer. I heard about this Clarity-Ferm through White Labs and test being done, and as long as you use barely and not wheat malt, you can get it under the gluten under 5 ppm. Well, I had my wife as a test patient and gave it a try. The results were not only a great tasting the beer, but the wife was/is not effected at all by the beer, so a huge plus. As for tasting like Spotted Cow well, eh, when I brewed the beer, I had a fridge full of Spotted Cow, when I tapped it, the Spotted Cow had been drank, so I cant comment on how close it is. :drunk:

****Disclaimer**** There were ZERO test done on the beer for the Gluten, just my wife's stomach, so your result's may vary, but her results were excellent. :D

MALT
Pilsner Malt- 6lbs 8oz
Corn, Flaked- 1lbs 8oz
Munich II- 1lbs 6oz
Barley, Flaked- 8oz

HOPS
.5oz Nugget- 60min- 15.5 IBU's
.5oz Styrian Golding- 10min- 3.3IBU's

YEAST
Wyeast 2565- Kolsch

MISC
White Labs Clarity-Ferm- add during Fermentation ***Key for the Gluten Reduced beer***
Whirlfloc

After about 1.5 weeks in the keg. It clears quick, but Ive had a lager in the keezer fermenting at 50*, so it hasnt cleared as quick as I wanted. Last one was BMC clear in 2 weeks.

IMG-20110514-00094.jpg

I've been reading about this Clarity-Ferm and it sounds incredible! My wife is a celiac as well, she found out a couple months after we got engaged. I started brewing soon after we got married (almost 2 years ago), but she has not been able to try any of my brews except for the first cider I made a couple months ago. Thank you so much for sharing!

I've been reading about this Clarity-Ferm and it sounds incredible! My wife is a celiac as well, she found out a couple months after we got engaged. I started brewing soon after we got married (almost 2 years ago), but she has not been able to try any of my brews except for the first cider I made a couple months ago. Thank you so much for sharing!
It really is a great product for people with celiac, my wife actually enjoys beer again.

Back