Cherry Berry Mead - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead Recipes > Cherry Berry Mead

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2012, 01:21 AM   #31
dan09554
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 73

Slim, I've had this in primary for just over 2 weeks. Airlock is still bubbling about every 3 seconds....Should I just leave it? You first post said to rack after 2 weeks....
__________________
Primary:
Primary:
Bottled: Altbier
Secondary:Cherry Berry Mead
Drinking: Porter, Fat Tire Clone, Honey Nut Brown Ale

Gone but not forgotten: Kolsch, Centennial Blonde, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone,



If no one votes, will they just go away!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:10 AM   #32
SD-SLIM
 
SD-SLIM's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 1,207
Liked 70 Times on 42 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dan09554 View Post
Slim, I've had this in primary for just over 2 weeks. Airlock is still bubbling about every 3 seconds....Should I just leave it? You first post said to rack after 2 weeks....
Yes leave it for as long as you can, if you bottle it while its still chugging along you will get bottle bombs!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:00 PM   #33
Brew_Vet
 
Brew_Vet's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Dunwoody, Georgia
Posts: 9

Question on he yeast, I am using the suggested Wyeast 4184 put in in the carboy yesterday afternoon. It started fermenting about 3 hours later and continues to do so. However, the fermentation is not exactly brisk, one bubble about every 3 seconds, is this normal with this strain?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:02 AM   #34
SD-SLIM
 
SD-SLIM's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 1,207
Liked 70 Times on 42 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew_Vet
Question on he yeast, I am using the suggested Wyeast 4184 put in in the carboy yesterday afternoon. It started fermenting about 3 hours later and continues to do so. However, the fermentation is not exactly brisk, one bubble about every 3 seconds, is this normal with this strain?
Yes...any activity is good activity, wait a few weeks and take some readings.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #35
Brew_Vet
 
Brew_Vet's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Dunwoody, Georgia
Posts: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-SLIM

Yes...any activity is good activity, wait a few weeks and take some readings.
Actually since I wrote the response the fermentation has sped up quite a bit.

Thanks

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:08 AM   #36
barrog
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
, PA
Posts: 115
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I'm getting things around to try this soon. Like the other poster I could only find white grape and peach so I'm going with that. I'm still new to mead makeing so I have a few questions.

I didn't see anything about a starter for the yeast. I assume I need to make one though. What should I use as a starter when it comes to mead?

Is there any other steps I should be takeing that wasn't listed like degassing or stagered yeast nutrients, or whatever?

Last I have a few vanella beans and wanted to know if they could work in something like this.

Sorry for the questions. I just want to make sure I do it right the first time.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:20 AM   #37
SD-SLIM
 
SD-SLIM's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 1,207
Liked 70 Times on 42 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by barrog
I'm getting things around to try this soon. Like the other poster I could only find white grape and peach so I'm going with that. I'm still new to mead makeing so I have a few questions.

I didn't see anything about a starter for the yeast. I assume I need to make one though. What should I use as a starter when it comes to mead?

Is there any other steps I should be takeing that wasn't listed like degassing or stagered yeast nutrients, or whatever?

Last I have a few vanella beans and wanted to know if they could work in something like this.

Sorry for the questions. I just want to make sure I do it right the first time.
Hello I would recommend using various sites like mr. Malty to calculate what size of yeast starter is required, a work around for a yeast starter is to get a smack pack...which are perfect for a 5 gallon application.
I would recommend degassing and staggering yeast nutrients, both if done in a controlled environment will make for a better product.
As for vanilla bean, I think you can add them to anything...just make sure to sanitize the beans in vodka before adding to your mead.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #38
Brew_Vet
 
Brew_Vet's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Dunwoody, Georgia
Posts: 9

Another question, excuse the ignorance this is my first mead. I did some further reading on mead after noticing a thick layer of Krausen on the surface. I understand this is called the cap and is common with fruit meads? They also suggest knocking it down or stirring it back in every few days or so?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:39 PM   #39
SD-SLIM
 
SD-SLIM's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 1,207
Liked 70 Times on 42 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew_Vet
Another question, excuse the ignorance this is my first mead. I did some further reading on mead after noticing a thick layer of Krausen on the surface. I understand this is called the cap and is common with fruit meads? They also suggest knocking it down or stirring it back in every few days or so?
I never do, because it contains dead yeast...and will cause some off flavors, however I only brew 6 or 7 Mead batches a year, so their may be better information out their than mine.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:13 AM   #40
Qweegee
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Posts: 18

Looks like a great recipe... Looking forward to getting a batch started soon!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Date Mead? I hardly know her rhoadsrage Mead Recipes 8 09-17-2012 12:48 PM
Costco Mead mattmcl Mead Recipes 19 09-12-2012 02:10 AM
Cherry-Vanilla Melomel MartyB Mead Recipes 9 09-29-2011 04:04 AM
Chocolate Cherry Mead sirsloop Mead Forum 0 01-27-2008 06:02 AM


Forum Jump