Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 3 FLoyds Zombie Dust attempt. Help/info requested

Old 09-21-2011, 03:30 AM   #81
slykwilli
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Cool, I'll just go with what you have so far. If you make any changes let us know how it goes and thanks again!

Old 09-23-2011, 01:08 AM   #82
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 535 Times on 323 Posts

Well good news. I got stuff delivered today, and the moving company marked boxes well. I unpacked the important stuff first (keezer, 4 kegs, grain, pots, carboys, crusher). I brought hops and yeast with me on the flight to make sure they had a comfy move (didn't realize I had 10 lbs of hops at the time; 4 Citra, 2 simcoe!) I will be doing the latest recipe I posted this weekend. I plan to do a 6-7g batch and use S-05 in half, S-04 in the other half to see what the difference is. Got open carboys so may as well, right? I will update in a couple weeks.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:57 AM   #83
rampage1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeezerpleezer View Post
Well good news. I got stuff delivered today, and the moving company marked boxes well. I unpacked the important stuff first (keezer, 4 kegs, grain, pots, carboys, crusher). I brought hops and yeast with me on the flight to make sure they had a comfy move (didn't realize I had 10 lbs of hops at the time; 4 Citra, 2 simcoe!) I will be doing the latest recipe I posted this weekend. I plan to do a 6-7g batch and use S-05 in half, S-04 in the other half to see what the difference is. Got open carboys so may as well, right? I will update in a couple weeks.
Thanks skeezer. I look forward to seeing what you think of it and the final recipe. I am going to try to brew this when I get my new mash tun and kettle at the end of next month.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #84
Diesel48
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This beer is fermenting away very nicely. Brewed on Monday and still getting some airlock activity. I know fermentation cannot be based on airlock activity but it was a solid fermentation. Need to order a few more oz of Citra for the dry hop.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #85
madbird1977
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just got a case of Zombie Dust last weekend from 3 Floyds. I'm slowly letting other onto the joys of this brew in WI. Its really great. Would love to brew up a extract /pm clone soon so if you have a recipe that would be great.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:20 AM   #86
WheeledGoat
DisMember
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I brewed up the recipe earlier in this thread a few weeks ago - tomorrow is the last of the 10day dry hop. When I checked it last week halfway through the dry hop, it was SO FRIGGIN GOOD. From what I remember (I only had this on tap at the Bavarian Lodge while they had it), this is not a direct clone, but who cares. It is so good.

Seriously - it's not chilled - not carbed, super-green and not even finished dry hopping yet, and it took some self discipline to not go back and take another hydrometer flaskfull and just flat out drink it.

I can not wait for this to be done!!!!!
Kegged & On Tap: Bavarian Hefeweizen, 3-year aged Cider

Projects: The Ravens Keezer - Custom Gas System - 10gal MLT

Old 09-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #87
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Glad to hear it came out good for you WheeledGoat.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:14 PM   #88
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Here is what I am brewing now:

Batch Size: 6 gallons
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.065
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.018
Estimated Color: 8.5 SRM
Bitterness: 65.9 IBU
Mash Temp: 155 F

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
11.75 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 81.7 %
1.13 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 7.8 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 21.1 IBU
0.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (20 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 17.0 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (10 min) Hops 15.4 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 8.5 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
3.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs California Ale (S-05) ***
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (S-04) ***

***I plan to split this into 2 carboys (3g each), and use S-05 in one and S-04 in the other to see how the yeast changes the flavor. I don't imagine either will be bad.

The changes from the last recipe I posted:
-I would end with about 1 extra oz of Citra that I don't want to re-seal since I still have about 2.5 lbs, so will add a bit more at the 5 and 1 minute additions.
-I had an extra .125 lbs of Munich, so I went ahead and threw it in.
-I forgot I left my 2-row with a friend prior to the move. I had 55 lbs of Pilsner on hand, so used it rather than driving to a brew shop (will be doing a 90 minute boil).

Old 09-25-2011, 09:17 PM   #89
kshuler
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

very intersted to hear how this batch turns out. I also have a 55 lb sack of pilsner, and only have Maris Otter, but no pale malt. Curious to see the difference- will this be closer or further from the real thing. Personaly, I am not sure it matters to me, since in Seattle we don't seem able to get any Zombie Dust and I won't be able to compare. So please tell what you think of this batch as opposed to the previous. I have no way to cool fermentations, but i have a cool basement. This makes brewing season here from basically mid October through the first week of June, and I am itching to brew this. I am going through brewing withdrawals at the moment, and my pipeline is limited now to two stouts after I finish my Pale Ale and Hefe-Weizen. Want to know which recipe to use before I start. Also, very curious to find out what the different yeast bring to this!
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

-------------------------------------------
http://www.bokehtests.com
http://web.mac.com/kshuler/Site/Welcome.html

Old 09-25-2011, 10:12 PM   #90
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I don't anticipate the Pilsner making a huge difference, this one is more about the hops, but I will keep you updated. I am sure this one will be much closer than the recipe posted in the original thread. I am curious to see which yeast works the best.

To help with your fermentation temp try getting a big tub, like one of the 20g or so rope handle tubs from walmart ($6), fill it part way with water, put the fermenter in with a shirt on it to wick up the water, and aim a fan on it. It has worked for me. To help further, get a couple 2 liter bottles of water and freeze them. Put one in the tub in the morning, then swap it for the other at night.