Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 3 FLoyds Zombie Dust attempt. Help/info requested

Old 09-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #661
lopatkam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eanmcnulty View Post
Try to find an Africanized Honey Bee, a Killer Bee. It will give your beer a more aggressive profile.
I think it had enough "bite". But it is, after all, an IPA. More "bite" may be better!

Old 09-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #662
CBelli
Beer Lover
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Just brewed this on Sunday ... followed the recipe except I just added 4oz of melanoidin as I have found it a bit too powerful at 3.6% of the grist in past brews.

Pitched S-04 and after 8 hours it has a crazy ferment going... the airlock sounds like a machine gun....

Smells AWESOME from the airlock!!!! hope it tastes as great as it smells...

I will post tasting results in 4 weeks

Old 09-19-2012, 12:03 AM   #663
kaj102wiu
Recipes 

A little help here, im a newbie ...So i brewed this up last night around 9:30.. I used the above extract version.. i have it sitting in the primary glass carboy and i realized i am sitting at about 4.2 gallons instead of 5.. not sure what happened i think some boil off and just distracted by the denver game..... my original gravity was way high, 1.078..I am sure due to the 4.2 gallons instead of 5? also i took the reading just after i added the yeast and not sure if that would affect it?

questions: since it is still fermenting, can i still add in water at this point? or is it best to leave? it has been in the primary for 24 hours but still bubbling strong.. what does everyone recommend.. Thanks!

Old 09-19-2012, 12:15 AM   #664
kaj102wiu
Recipes 

one follow up question to the above.. if i do not add water, do you recommend leaving it in the primary for dry hopping as opposed to racking to a secondary for dry hopping.. my thought process to this is to minimize the potential loss of volume when racking to secondary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaj102wiu View Post
A little help here, im a newbie ...So i brewed this up last night around 9:30.. I used the above extract version.. i have it sitting in the primary glass carboy and i realized i am sitting at about 4.2 gallons instead of 5.. not sure what happened i think some boil off and just distracted by the denver game..... my original gravity was way high, 1.078..I am sure due to the 4.2 gallons instead of 5? also i took the reading just after i added the yeast and not sure if that would affect it?

questions: since it is still fermenting, can i still add in water at this point? or is it best to leave? it has been in the primary for 24 hours but still bubbling strong.. what does everyone recommend.. Thanks!

Old 09-19-2012, 12:34 AM   #665
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 28 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 543 Times on 329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaj102wiu
one follow up question to the above.. if i do not add water, do you recommend leaving it in the primary for dry hopping as opposed to racking to a secondary for dry hopping.. my thought process to this is to minimize the potential loss of volume when racking to secondary.
If you go up to 5g, you will have around 1.065 (.078*4.2/5). I dont know about topping off now, i assume it would be ok this soon after the start of fermentation. If you did it, you would want to boil and cool it first.

For dry-hopping, a lot of people do it in primary. I usually rack to a keg, then dry hop in bags in the keg, then carb. The hops will absorb the same regardless of if you are in primary or secondary.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:03 AM   #666
kaj102wiu
Recipes 

Thanks man.... i think i will leave it as is to be safe and then dry hop in the primary.. Should i make any adjustments to amount of hops for dry hopping due to the lower amount? when dry hopping in a glass carboy do i just dump the pellets loose right in that bad boy and then siphon out when moving to bottling bucket? Thanks for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeezerpleezer View Post
If you go up to 5g, you will have around 1.065 (.078*4.2/5). I dont know about topping off now, i assume it would be ok this soon after the start of fermentation. If you did it, you would want to boil and cool it first.

For dry-hopping, a lot of people do it in primary. I usually rack to a keg, then dry hop in bags in the keg, then carb. The hops will absorb the same regardless of if you are in primary or secondary.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:21 AM   #667
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 28 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 543 Times on 329 Posts

I would just use the same. The higher gravity will like more dryhops. And yes, you can just dump them in. Some people put a sanitized paint strainer over the siphon when transferring to help filter the hops.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #668
jtejedor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

So psyched going to brew 10 gallons of this this on Sat. I am hoping to have at least 1 keg ready for a comp and deadline is Oct12. I know its probably not optimal but we will see. I can't wait to try it also.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #669
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Just kegged my second batch of this, of course had to try a sip or two after only one day in the keg.......just as good as the first batch. Love this stuff

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern

Old 09-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #670
jmich24
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Mashing as we speak. I upped the FWH to 1 oz. Plan to dry hop 3.5 ounces in the keg. I am also going to add my 0 min hops in at 180 degree and allow them to steep for 30 min.

I used my hoppy water profile of:
Calcium(Ca):103 ppm
Magnesium(Mg): 15 ppm
Sodium(Na): 8.7 ppm
Chloride(Cl): 32 ppm
Sulfate(SO4): 195 ppm
biCarbonate(HCO3):109 ppm

Primary: Ned Flanders Red, RR Consecration on 2nd Gen Roeselare, Soured BDSA, Brett B ESB, Brett Trios Oatmeal Stout runnings.

Next: Oro de Calabaza Clone, Backwoods Bastard Clone, House IPA, House APA, German Hefe.