3 FLoyds Zombie Dust attempt. Help/info requested - Page 63 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 3 FLoyds Zombie Dust attempt. Help/info requested

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #621
MW66
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
MW66's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Buffalo, NY
Posts: 276
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts


I just transferred my primary (16 days) into my keg last night and put in three tea balls filled with 3 ounces of Citra in total for dry hopping. My F.G. was 1.020 and my O.G. was 1.067, so it appears that I hit the target values pretty well. My calculated IBUs are at 68 and I mashed at 154F for 60 minutes. Also, I used Safale US-04, rehydrated with sterile water. I tasted the hydrometer sample from the end of primary and it was very good (Citra bomb). My only variation was that I eliminated the 1/2 lb of melanioden malt and substituted and extra 1/2 lb of Munich malt. I'm really looking forward to this one and plan to enter it in a contest on September 15th.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #622
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Sippin37's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Chicago
Posts: 1,032
Liked 38 Times on 36 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by MW66 View Post
I just transferred my primary (16 days) into my keg last night and put in three tea balls filled with 3 ounces of Citra in total for dry hopping. My F.G. was 1.020 and my O.G. was 1.067, so it appears that I hit the target values pretty well. My calculated IBUs are at 68 and I mashed at 154F for 60 minutes. Also, I used Safale US-04, rehydrated with sterile water. I tasted the hydrometer sample from the end of primary and it was very good (Citra bomb). My only variation was that I eliminated the 1/2 lb of melanioden malt and substituted and extra 1/2 lb of Munich malt. I'm really looking forward to this one and plan to enter it in a contest on September 15th.
Question on the tea balls filled with hops. How long do you leave those in the keg? If it is going to take me a month to finish the keg, is it okay to leave them in there that entire time?
__________________
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?"
-- Stephen Wright

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #623
MW66
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
MW66's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Buffalo, NY
Posts: 276
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts


I'm leaving it in the keg for 10 days maximum, then placing it in my keezer to carbonate.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #624
skeezerpleezer
 
skeezerpleezer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Roswell, GA
Posts: 2,610
Liked 691 Times on 425 Posts


If it is cold the whole time a month is probably ok. I haven't had any issues with keg hopping, but they don't usually last over a month.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:35 PM   #625
dabull25
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
baltimore, maryland
Posts: 68

can anyone tell me what a first wort hop is? Do I put in 1.75 ounces at 60 minutes? Im a bit confused! Thanks

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #626
Face Eater
I brew beer....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Face Eater's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 834
Liked 51 Times on 36 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dabull25
can anyone tell me what a first wort hop is? Do I put in 1.75 ounces at 60 minutes? Im a bit confused! Thanks
First wort hopping is when you put the hops in (the boil kettle) when you start your runoff usually from fly sparging. This way the hops are sitting in the wort pre boil for the 45 to 60 minutes. This is supposed to increase ibu's but they are perceived as smoother (some say closer to a 20 minute addition). I say it is more bitter but not like a 20 minute addition, kind of hard to explain. Usually replaces a 60 minute or 20 minute addition for some.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #627
SpoonBrew
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 7
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I noticed that the clone recipes listed here are all single hopped Citra. For the record, Zombie Dust is NOT 100% Citra. This is from the horses mouth too-- "It's "mostly" Citra".

And with Citra not being a bittering hop, this makes sense. I was not told what other hops were involved, no surprise there, but if I were to take a stab, my guess is it's bittered with Summit or Warrior. Just food for thought really. An all Citra hop beer can indeed be done. I'm simply referring to Zombie Dust specifically.

For credibility, my source is 3F brewer and personal friend, Andrew Mason-- and I'm the brewer for The Livery in Benton Harbor, MI.
__________________
"If god wanted us to filter out beer, he wouldn't have given us a liver."

doobliebop Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:08 PM   #628
skeezerpleezer
 
skeezerpleezer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Roswell, GA
Posts: 2,610
Liked 691 Times on 425 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonBrew
I noticed that the clone recipes listed here are all single hopped Citra. For the record, Zombie Dust is NOT 100% Citra. This is from the horses mouth too-- "It's "mostly" Citra".

And with Citra not being a bittering hop, this makes sense. I was not told what other hops were involved, no surprise there, but if I were to take a stab, my guess is it's bittered with Summit or Warrior. Just food for thought really. An all Citra hop beer can indeed be done. I'm simply referring to Zombie Dust specifically.

For credibility, my source is 3F brewer and personal friend, Andrew Mason-- and I'm the brewer for The Livery in Benton Harbor, MI.
It used to be when it first came out (and before it was called Zombie Dust also). It has been noted several times in this thread that they changed, and their website no longer advertises it being all citra. Assumption is it was changed due to the citra availability, because it was better when it was all citra.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:33 AM   #629
SpoonBrew
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 7
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by skeezerpleezer View Post
It used to be when it first came out (and before it was called Zombie Dust also). It has been noted several times in this thread that they changed, and their website no longer advertises it being all citra. Assumption is it was changed due to the citra availability, because it was better when it was all citra.
Right. Cenotaph was indeed a single hopped Citra pale. But we are talking about Zombie Dust correct? So in that case, it's not all Citra-- that is the point. Zombie Dust is also a more refined recipe by comparison really.
__________________
"If god wanted us to filter out beer, he wouldn't have given us a liver."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:14 AM   #630
skeezerpleezer
 
skeezerpleezer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Roswell, GA
Posts: 2,610
Liked 691 Times on 425 Posts


When it was re-labeled as Zombie Dust it was advertised as a single hop, all Citra. They stated that directly on their website. They have changed it this year, but you can see the description on BA and ratebeer for FFFs old description.

NorthSide Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Failed attempt at Augustiner Info Boerderij_Kabouter Recipes/Ingredients 29 11-21-2015 06:11 PM
Three Floyds Dreadnaught HomerJR Recipes/Ingredients 18 07-28-2011 09:32 PM
Three Floyds Black Sun Crayfish Recipes/Ingredients 0 12-01-2009 04:06 PM
three floyds water positiverpr Recipes/Ingredients 11 03-22-2009 11:24 AM
Grain Dust? BNVince Recipes/Ingredients 1 08-09-2007 03:33 AM


Forum Jump