fruit in honey self ferment??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHeadWilly

Reaction score
I thought it would be a good idea to soak pineapple pieces in 1/2 lb wildflower honey and about 4 lbs LME. My plan was to add this to the boil of my next brew. It's been in a large glass jar and I swear it has started fermenting. Is it possible for honey to self ferment w/ other complex sugars? Or was there likely a wild strain of yeast in the jar- which my dumb a$$ didn't sanitize cause I knew the contents would be boiled.
:rockin:
I just put the jar in the fridge cause I wasn't ready to do a brew today, should I still add to boil? It's only been 5 days in the jar.

Interesting... What form was the pineapple, fresh or canned? And could it have had any skin left on it? How does it smell? If it doesn't smell foul and there isn't any visible spoilage then I would probably use it, just make sure you boil it long enough to make sure that any pathogens/spoilage organisms are destroyed. This is kinda funny though, it's a perfect example of how brewing started, wild fermentation!

Fresh pineapple cut w/ no skin. Smells great! Very sweet and a newer zingy smell- I'm assuming alcohol. The lid is glass w/ a rubber collar around it. It was very slightly letting air out through bubbled honey and LME. Started doing that in just the last couple days. I hope I caught it soon enough. I'll prob boil it for full 60 min.

Back