Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Primary Fermentation in "Ale Pail"

Old 09-23-2005, 05:16 AM   #11
cap46
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I agree with Scott. I use a piece of hose to go from my primary to my secondary. Then it doesn't matter about finding a table or cabinet the right height.

Old 09-23-2005, 05:45 AM   #12
Shambolic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ah, siphon...good idea...

I'm an idiot

Bottled/Drinking:
Common Swill
Stormy Night Porter
Lobrau Amber Ale (Mk. II)
Rain Dog Ale
Quantum Pale Ale

Coming Up:
Maybe a pilsner...
Quantum Pale Ale (Mk. II)

Old 09-23-2005, 01:06 PM   #13
gibfried

Recipes 

I first got the itch to make beer from watching "Good Eats" episode about making beer. He used two buckets - both with the spiggot. On the other hand it didn't seem that he knew very much about beer making.

Whatever works!

Primary: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Aging: Ugly Monk Belgium Abbey
Drinking: Heavenly Honey Wheat,Chocolate Stout, London Porter, Big Fat Fatty's Oatmeal Stout, Pete's Porter, California Not So Common, Ugly Monk Belgium Abbey, Maple Brown
Upcoming Brew: Bass Clone, Fosters (a light drink for those who think beer has to be light).

Old 09-23-2005, 02:50 PM   #14
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 25 Posts

I like the buckets. Here's why:

1. Light weight.
2. Opaque (no chance of light damage)
3. Easy to clean
4. No blow-off.

I know that glassies will claim that there's are easier to clean, but here's my method:

Hose out the bucket to get crud or dust out.
Fill bucket to the tip-top.
Add 4 tbsp household bleach
Stir with racking cane.
Throw all your tools in there. (can't do that with a glass carb)
Let it all sit while you boil. Use your bottle brush to get anything stuck-on off.

Dump, fill again with water and no-rinse sanitizer right around the time you add your finishing hops, then dump again.

The bleach kills any odors and nasties. You end up with a complete set of sanitized equipment.

Likewise, I'm considering using my bottling bucket as a secondary while my Kolsch occupies my true secondary.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 09-24-2005, 01:24 AM   #15
Lost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottT
You don't want to oxygenate after primary firmentation.

You've got to siphon and make sure no air gets mixed in in the process. You don't eveny want to splash it.

I agree.. pouring is a very very bad idea. Siphoning is the way to go.. especially with an autosiphon.

For what it's worth I have a 6.5 gal bucket for a primary and a 6.5 gal carboy.. I haven't used the carboy as a primary yet because the bucket works just fine but I am aware of the oxygen permeability issue as well as the sanitizing/scraching issue and might just try the glass primary for my next go round.

For those of you who use a bottling bucket type setup for a primary, does the trub ever get sucked into the spigot? I usually end up with a bit of cold break material and hop debris in the primary and that makes for quite a thick layer of trub sometimes.

Old 09-24-2005, 04:53 AM   #16
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
For what it's worth I have a 6.5 gal bucket for a primary and a 6.5 gal carboy.. I haven't used the carboy as a primary yet because the bucket works just fine but I am aware of the oxygen permeability issue as well as the sanitizing/scraching issue and might just try the glass primary for my next go round.

I just decided after about 20 batches it was time to start doing primary in glass. I never had any problems with the plastic buckets but I'm trying to upgrade the brewery.
Heck, I even do my secondaries in corny kegs now. You have to be vigilant about venting them (at least once a day), but it works nice, and highly convenient for racking time.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 09-24-2005, 05:01 AM   #17
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
I like the buckets. Here's why:

1. Light weight.
2. Opaque (no chance of light damage)
3. Easy to clean
4. No blow-off.

I know that glassies will claim that there's are easier to clean, but here's my method:

Hose out the bucket to get crud or dust out.
Fill bucket to the tip-top.
Add 4 tbsp household bleach
Stir with racking cane.
Throw all your tools in there. (can't do that with a glass carb)
Let it all sit while you boil. Use your bottle brush to get anything stuck-on off.

Dump, fill again with water and no-rinse sanitizer right around the time you add your finishing hops, then dump again.

The bleach kills any odors and nasties. You end up with a complete set of sanitized equipment.

Likewise, I'm considering using my bottling bucket as a secondary while my Kolsch occupies my true secondary.
All pretty good points, except "no blow off". Apparenatly you haven't had the right combination going in yours yet, but when you do, that lid blowing off there makes a nice little boom. Makes quite a mess, too!

It's a good idea to use a blowoff with a plastic bucket, too.
Gone unsung for far too long

Old 03-13-2006, 12:44 AM   #18
DP
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwAMi75
It's a good idea to use a blowoff with a plastic bucket, too.
How do I set up a tube for blow off from my Ale Pail? Right now I have an airlock installed and it bubles constantly.

Old 03-14-2006, 01:52 AM   #19
burnsie
Recipes 

First, why is air mixing a problem? ...darn.

Second, why can't you just run some hose from the spigot (with the primary in an elevated position), to the secondary...same effect as a siphon, no?

Old Speckled Hen Clone 1

Old Speckled Hen Clone 2

Broad Ripple Brew Pub ESB Clone

15 Gallons of Cider!

Old 03-14-2006, 03:39 AM   #20
Lou
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsie
First, why is air mixing a problem? ...darn.

Second, why can't you just run some hose from the spigot (with the primary in an elevated position), to the secondary...same effect as a siphon, no?
air is bad because it contains oxygen. oxygenation causes beer to go stale faster.

you should just run the hose from the spigot. no need to siphon if you've already got the spigot.