Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sanitizing Beer Bottles

Old 05-12-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
B33rL0v3r
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sanitizing Beer Bottles

Usually I immerse my bottles in star san, but I was wondering if anyone has had success in just using a spray bottle to spray the star san inside the beer bottle. Will this be sufficient sanitation? Or is immersion required for the bottles?

Old 05-12-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
Clann
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I tried that once and had a bad feeling but luckily no infection.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:21 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2874 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

I think irregularpulse, or chesirecat on here has posted that he does it. It really is no different that a vinator, except it doesn't collect the dripping and recirculate it, not does it have as much pressure as the vinator.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-12-2011, 11:34 PM   #4
Vector
Recipes 

I use a spray bottle with star san to sanitize my bottles. Works well for me.
I spray about 3 times in the bottle, roll it around a bit to ensure everything is coated, place it in the sink while I spray the rest. When I got a sink full, I spray the mouths of all the bottles. I then turn them over one at a time and place them in a rack to dry.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:39 PM   #5
mcwilcr
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I have used a spray bottle before in a pinch with no problems but what I prefer to do is put my bottles in the dishwasher on the Sanitize setting and let it run through a cycle without any soap. Works great!

Old 05-12-2011, 11:44 PM   #6
B33rL0v3r
Recipes 

Thanks guys, I use star san for sanitation, but I just started using my dishwasher as a bottle tree and its amazing!!

Old 05-12-2011, 11:51 PM   #7
ryandlf
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dishwasher works just fine. Also you can get this as someone already mentioned and it does a much better job than a spray bottle, and much quicker than a dishwasher.

On-Tap:
Highland Oatmeal Porter Clone
Jungle Love APA

Old 05-13-2011, 05:39 PM   #8
allaboutduncan
Recipes 

I'll add my thumbs-up to the Vinator recommendation. One of the best and cheapest purchases you can make. I can place it on top of my bottle tree and sanitize a case of bottles in a few minutes.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:56 PM   #9
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2967 Times on 2561 Posts
Likes Given: 2096

I bought one some time ago,but I think I need to take it back. It pumps down into the bottom of the bowl,instead of up into the bottle. It has a small round plastic strainer on the bottom,& a plastic plug in the top with a "+" sign shaped hole in it. Ball bearing in the middle. Is the pump upside down or what?

Old 05-13-2011, 07:04 PM   #10
jaycount
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've been immersing mine in a star-san solution in the sink then putting them on the dishwasher rack. Do it about 10 bottles at a time with that method and it works fine plus I get the added comfort of knowing the entire bottle is sanitized.

I like making the mixture up anyways to soak my bottling bucket spigot, bottling wand, etc. in before putting it all together and bottling.