Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Avery or Poor Mans Labels?

Old 05-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
LloydRenee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Avery or Poor Mans Labels?

I see links for easy seal and a few other places that just either dont work or are not really what I am looking for. I was wondering if anyone out there has a way that they do it with Avery or some Office Depot brand labels that I can put on the bottles? Size and template would be great. If not no worries but I figured I would ask after combing through many threads here and not seeing anything. Print and design will be easy for me as I am creative and have access to my work printer. Just need a template or something. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
bonsai4tim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

less expensive: (I think around $10 for 750 labels)

Avery address labels (58160) repositionable labels--most word processing programs already have the template or you can download it for free from avery.

These come off with a short (15 min) soak in hot soapy water, and you can use an inkjet.

Slightly more expensive:
Create your label as a .jpg with GIMP (free) or photoshop, insert .jpg into microsoft word document, copy/paste it several times to fill up page with 4-6 labels per page, and print on line with FedEx Office/Kinko's---costs me about $3-4 to make 48 labels with their color laserjet.

t

Old 05-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #3
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I just mocked up what I wanted in photoshop until I found a size that fit me.

Printed on regular paper with a LASER JET (not an inkjet) printer. That's important because inkjet will run if they get wet of there's condensation.

To apply, I uwet the backs with a little 1% milk, apply to the bottle, squeezing out any excess to the edges and allow to dry. Then you can use a damp paper towel to clean up any milk streaking on the glass.

Works great and comes off super easily.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
Nova5
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

I use the avery designpro software and just print them into regular paper, cut them out and glue them on or milk them on.
5gal Primary #1 :
5Gal Primary #2 Empty
MRB Primary #1 : Empty
MRB Primary #2 Empty
Carbed to Beery Goodness! - AHS Lando Cascadian Dark Ale - Brewed 10/28/12, Dry Hoppin 11/4/12, Bottled 11/10/12

Carbing - AHS Clone - Southhampton DoubleWhite - Brewed 11/11/12, Bottled 1/20/13

Old 06-18-2011, 09:19 PM   #5
kevin0
Recipes 

I use small address labels and just put them on the caps. When you pull the cap off you've got a nice clean bottle again. Soaking bottles is just a pain in my opinion, not worth the extra effort for a big custom label.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:40 PM   #6
voodoocurt
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

We briefly discussed this in another thread and I had just done these.....see third post

V
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f46/when-put-label-246955/

Old 06-19-2011, 11:26 PM   #7
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2917 Times on 2850 Posts
Likes Given: 118

$8 for 1000 labels... Avery 5408.

I don't have a printer so I hand label, but you could easily have as much info as'll fit in a 3/4" circle on each label.
Click image for larger version

Name:	labeled bottles.jpg
Views:	4254
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	27995   Click image for larger version

Name:	labels.jpg
Views:	4273
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	27996  
Are you just bored and wanted something, anything to type?-IrregularPulse

I will just push my son to have kids at 15. Then I will see the grandkids longer.-AMonkey
IP's wife's boobs weigh more than my wife.-Randar
My wife has the coordination of a drunk two legged spider.-Zuljin

Old 06-20-2011, 06:41 PM   #8
rhern053
Recipes 

+1 on Avery labels for caps

but stay away from avery labels for the sides of bottles. at least for me, the ink runs once condensation hits it. could be my printer though.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
alexdagrate
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsai4tim View Post
less expensive: (I think around $10 for 750 labels)

Avery address labels (58160) repositionable labels--most word processing programs already have the template or you can download it for free from avery.
I like the repositionable labels as well, they come off much easier than other ones, you might not even need to soak them at all.

However, I prefer the "shipping labels" from Avery (58164). They are approximately the same size as normal beer labels.

I use a laserprinter, so ink smearing isn't a problem. However, this restricts me to just black and white labels. If done right, they still look pretty cool.

You can download the 58164 template directly from Avery.