Bottling Delay - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling Delay

Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2005, 11:15 PM   #1
Jun 2005
Posts: 9

For reasons I can't explain, I primed my latest batch on Sunday, Sept. 18, it will be Thursday, Sept. 22 before I can bottle. Should I expect problems?

Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 11:38 PM   #2
Will work for beer
Dude's Avatar
Jan 2005
Knob Noster, Missouri
Posts: 8,770
Liked 88 Times on 70 Posts

Interesting thread.

First off, cover it and put an airlock in it, as it WILL ferment.

This could be a tough situation, because you are taking a chance by adding MORE priming sugar when you do get a chance to bottle. Bottle bombs are likely cause you have no idea how much of that sugar was eaten by the yeasts.

Personally, I don't know what I'd do here. Let it ferment out all the way and prime again? Or take my chances and just bottle it up without adding anything else? I don't know.

Anyone else?
On Tap: Lake Walk Pale Ale -- Eternity (Raspberry Stout) -- Nutrocker -- Donnybrook Dark
Primary: Lake Walk Pale Ale
Secondary: Summit IPA
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Gone But Not Forgotten:

Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 11:58 PM   #3
SwAMi75's Avatar
Mar 2005
Midwest City, OK
Posts: 2,478
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

The only thing I can think of if to check your gravity right now, and see how it compares with your FG. That way you'll be able to tell if the sugar fermented out by bottling day. I'd think 4 days should be enough to ferment the sugar out.

~Edit...duh, just realised this was three days ago. Little late for a hydro reading now! Still, I'd take a hydro reading on bottling day. If it's the same, or lower than your measured FG, re-prime and bottle. Say a little prayer, and put the bottles in a secure area.
May you go marching in three-measure time
Dressed up as asses, drunk to the nines
Swing from the rafters, shouting those songs
Gone unsung for far too long

Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 01:37 AM   #4
ScottT's Avatar
Aug 2005
Hurst, Tx
Posts: 653
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd leave it for a week at least and make sure I've got no airlock activity before priming a second time and botteling. No sense in taking any chances with bottle bombs. All you've done is boost the ABV a little.

Primary: Empty

Secondary #2: Empty

Bottle Conditioning: Oatmeal Stout

Drinking from Keg: Ordinary Bitter, Kolsch

Drinking bottled: Brown Autumn Wee Heavy
Hefe Weizen
Peaches and Cream Weizen

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption... Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck.

Next up: Hefe Weizen

Reply With Quote
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bottling Delay--should I still do it? Kakistocracy Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 09-30-2008 07:41 PM
8 hours delay before pitching yeast... jordanlee05 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 08-30-2008 04:15 PM
Will cold crashing delay bottle conditioning? maltMonkey General Techniques 3 02-15-2008 05:40 PM
Brewday delay Chris_Dog General Chit Chat 5 12-16-2007 07:21 PM

Forum Jump