Vanilla Chai - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead Recipes > Vanilla Chai

Old 02-15-2012, 01:43 AM   #11
kickrjason

Recipes 

Jun 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I am curious if the ginger was fresh or powdered or crystallized?

Tap#1 Summer Saison
Tap#2 Amarillo Pale Ale

Primary English Mild
Secondary -Vanilla Chai Mead

Kegged Has Hefeweisen #4, Speckled Heifer Cream Ale
Bottled - Cherry Oatmeal Stout, Burbon Vanilla Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Hefeweisen, Stubborn Baby Pale Ale,

Old 07-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #12
kingmoltar
Recipes 

Apr 2011
warren, mi
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thinking about it now, I wouldn't use the pectin enzyme. I thought about using it because of the vanilla bean, but I discovered that I just didn't let it age long enough.
I used ground ginger bought from the store.

Sorry it took so long to respond, I haven't been able to get online. I also haven't been able to brew anymore. I had to move out of state, and all of my brewing equipment got left at a friends house, due to not having room to bring it.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #13
Penguinetti
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Eliot, Maine
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmoltar View Post
Thinking about it now, I wouldn't use the pectin enzyme. I thought about using it because of the vanilla bean, but I discovered that I just didn't let it age long enough.
I used ground ginger bought from the store.

Sorry it took so long to respond, I haven't been able to get online. I also haven't been able to brew anymore. I had to move out of state, and all of my brewing equipment got left at a friends house, due to not having room to bring it.
I don't know why, but that is the saddest thing I've heard all day today...

Old 12-02-2012, 04:57 AM   #14
huesmann
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Kensington, MD
Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

I have a batch of this going (except I am using D47 because it's chilly season), and it smells freaking amazing.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #15
SatiricalPuma
Recipes 

Sep 2013
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I realize this thread is old but want to make a vanilla chai recipe and like the sound of this one a lot.

Question: It sounds like you add spices (ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, clove, nutmeg allspice, vanilla bean) up front...I've never heard or read that this is a good idea....don't you lose the aroma and a lot of the character of those spices? I thought spices should be added to the secondary only. Could anyone weigh in on this?

spikestheclown Likes This 
Old 11-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #16
erichsmith
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Reidsville, NC
Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

I just brewed a Chai lager and used 40 Chai Tea bags to make a tea and put that in my wort at the end if the boil. It turned out perfect.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:50 AM   #17
spikestheclown
Recipes 

Jun 2015
Fort Worth, Texas

I just started brewing this last night and followed the recommended edits to the recipe used approximately 15 lbs of honey and halved the clove, also use champagne yeast as i live in texas and have been told it was more stable in the summer months. Was just wondering did anyone have to back sweeten for bottle carbing? Also any opinions on if this is better still or carbonated? I know traditionally mead is still right? Thanks for any feedback