Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Chocolate in mead

Old 06-21-2011, 05:22 AM   #11
VGMeads
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I'm attempting a Mint Chocolate mead, and have used Cocoa powder straight into the fermentation process [Primary]. I have a sneaking suspicion that it won't do ANYTHING but settle, and leave behind a Mint mead. But, I will keep an eye on it and see how it goes.... [2cups of cocoa powder aught to do SOMETHING, but who knows]

Next time, I think I'm just gonna use extract.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:14 AM   #12
dinich
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedsenFey View Post
The amount of fat left in baker's chocolate isn't enough to have any impact.

Personally, I've sworn off cocoa powder and bakers chocolate. From now on I'm using nibs or making something else. However, I will say that reading the thread here comparing the different chocolate batches showed Nesquick to be the best tasting. I have some questions about that, but you may want to check that thread out.
I was one of the OP's in the chocolate mead experiments.
Since our first experiments I've made two additional 5 gallon batches using the Nesquick. Same recipe used for both batches but different techniques have cause slightly different outcomes.

Using the powder and mixing well you'll notice the chocolate settles out very quickly.

For my first 5 gallon batch I heated 3 gallons of water to about 180 and then mixed in the chocolate, using wine wine whip. the idea was that hot water would bind better with the chocolate. All 28 of 30 of these bottles have consumed. It's better than our test batch

For the 2nd 5 gallon batch I followed the same steps as above, but also gave the must a good stir with the wine whip every day for the first five days of fermentation. Transferred from secondary to corny in February. haven't thought about ut til today.

Should probably check it.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:15 AM   #13
bubbachunk
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

What about brewing a pot of coco like you would coffee then using that pot in addition to your must? Thoughts?

If the local farmers market has honey (which I hope they should) I may try this, this weekend and compare it to say just stiring in the same amount of coco powder.

Edit: I could also go into coco additions in primary vs secondary. Who wants to fund and help me drink all of my mead experimentation?

Old 06-23-2011, 05:48 AM   #14
VGMeads
Recipes 

I heated up a cups worth of cocoa powder, and added it to my primary... It has mixed well and the color hasn't separated yet, so I think I may be in luck. I'm going to add more when I rack to secondary, should I not like the potency.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:23 AM   #15
Daedolon
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGMeads View Post
I heated up a cups worth of cocoa powder, and added it to my primary... It has mixed well and the color hasn't separated yet, so I think I may be in luck. I'm going to add more when I rack to secondary, should I not like the potency.
I found that the cocoa powder wouldn't mix until it absorbed some of the liquid. So I let it sit on top of what ever I was making for a couple of days, and then the wine whip mixed it right in.

How long do you plan on waiting for the potency to appear? I have read on other threads that the chocolate flavor tastes bitter for up to a year before it starts tasting good. Are you saying that in a year, you will decide what to do? And then wait for another year for it to mellow out again?

Have you thought about adding cocoa nibs to the secondary to create a more potent aroma without really impacting the flavor as much? This is what I have though about, personally. The reason I think this would be useful is because as far as I have heard - most of our perception of flavor comes from smell not the actual taste (think how bland everything is with a cold).

Old 07-18-2011, 03:47 PM   #16
kingmoltar
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just Racked it. It's actually clearing up nicely. Most of the solids have settled, I think maybe another month or two and it might be ready to taste. bottling a month or two after that.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:32 AM   #17
kingmoltar
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just racked it the other day... it's just about ready. it tastes good, the chocolate and the strawberry are very subtle. maybe need to add more? IDK.