Craigslist Find - Minifridge - $85 Monroe,LA - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > For Sale > Craigslist Find - Minifridge - $85 Monroe,LA
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2011, 04:42 AM   #1
uncleben113
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Chicago, IL
Posts: 479
iTrader: (10)
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts



I found this listing in my area for a pretty nice minifridge for $100 bucks but the girl said she would take $85 for it.

http://monroe.craigslist.org/app/2370809245.html

I have been looking for one to ferment in since it's so hot here and is just big enough to hold one fermenter but I'm not crazy about the price.

I don't think it's that great of a deal honestly but does anyone else have an opinion?



 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
JRems
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Mahopac, NY
Posts: 2,192
iTrader: (0)
Liked 60 Times on 52 Posts


I think it would work fine to ferment in, but for a 4 year old unit it should be $70 or less. Usually I see them for $50 on craigslist, but that does appear to be a nicer model than most.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
ekjohns
Recipes 
 
May 2009
IL
Posts: 1,400
iTrader: (3)
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts


This is not deep enough for a carboy so you will have to built a collar to ferment in as well FYI

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #4
uncleben113
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Chicago, IL
Posts: 479
iTrader: (10)
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JRems View Post
I think it would work fine to ferment in, but for a 4 year old unit it should be $70 or less. Usually I see them for $50 on craigslist, but that does appear to be a nicer model than most.
Yea I have seen them go for $60 other places online but she said she would take anything under 85. I really don't need to spend the money but for $60 I would have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekjohns View Post
This is not deep enough for a carboy so you will have to built a collar to ferment in as well FYI
A collar for a minifridge? Is that practical? And the girl told me that the interior without the freezer portion is 26 inches high and my carboy with airlock is barely 22.

I'm not looking for one to lager in but to just ferment my ales in. I could use the minifridge for that right? I mean, what's the range on those things?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
Fat_Bastard
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
central coast, california
Posts: 306
iTrader: (0)
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts


the problem isn't height with a mini fridge,it's depth.The compressor hump in the bottom takes up at least a third of the depth making fitting a carboy or bucket extremely difficult.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #6
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Lakeland TN
Posts: 3,709
iTrader: (0)
Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben113 View Post

A collar for a minifridge? Is that practical? And the girl told me that the interior without the freezer portion is 26 inches high and my carboy with airlock is barely 22.
I built a box out of 2" pink foam board, removed the door to the fridge, and attached the box with aluminum tape. The box has a loose lid on top, and will hold 3 Better Bottles.

Right now, it is holding at about 38*F, with 2 BB's of amber lager cold crashing.

BTW, I got my 4cf fridge (new) for free.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #7
uncleben113
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Chicago, IL
Posts: 479
iTrader: (10)
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_Bastard View Post
the problem isn't height with a mini fridge,it's depth.The compressor hump in the bottom takes up at least a third of the depth making fitting a carboy or bucket extremely difficult.
Oh I see. Yea the measurement she gave me was only barely deep enough but with that compressor back there and the stuff attached to the door, it just wouldn't be worth it to buy it and build and extension in the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
I built a box out of 2" pink foam board, removed the door to the fridge, and attached the box with aluminum tape. The box has a loose lid on top, and will hold 3 Better Bottles.

Right now, it is holding at about 38*F, with 2 BB's of amber lager cold crashing.

BTW, I got my 4cf fridge (new) for free.

That would be great for what I want. If I spent this kind of money, I'd like it to have room for at least 2 fermenters.



Reason: Typo

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Craigslist find on faucets Waunabeer For Sale 4 01-29-2011 10:57 PM
Craigslist Find - Kegerator electrichead For Sale 2 01-26-2011 05:56 PM
Craigslist find DC area Cold_Steel For Sale 1 03-13-2010 09:43 PM
find craigslist bakersfield artyusmc For Sale 4 08-01-2009 10:25 PM
LA craigslist find (kegs) sw341034 For Sale 9 06-09-2009 07:05 PM


Forum Jump