Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Dave's Carmel Apple Cider

Old 09-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #101
Jenn2520
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 804Amy

I made my syrup purposefully thinner to avoid a distribution issue- has anyone tried this with any success? Still have another week in the carboy before I'll add the syrup.
I did the same thing, and there is still sediment in the bottom of most of my bottles. Taste wise you don't really notice it, but if you pour it into a glass you can see it.
Would it be okay to add the syrup to the primary and then rack on top of the apple juice concentrate to reduce the amount of sediment?
I'm pretty new to beer and cider making....

Old 09-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #102
Firehawk69
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Every time I want to impart flavor for an apfelwein or any kind of cider or wine, I usually take part of the base liquid (apple juice, water, etc.) and then make a tea with the flavoring. For example, I take 1/2 gallon of apple juice in a non-reactive pot and place broken cinnamon sticks and crushed nutmeg berries in a piece of cheesecloth. I then tie the sachet and add to the juice, then bring to a boil. After boiling for about 5 minutes, remove from the heat and let steep for 1-3 hours, covered. After that, add it to the must and you should get a really good flavor from it. Of course that is my 2 cents worth, but it works for me

Old 09-24-2012, 02:59 AM   #103
madkap_78
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I plan on making a 5gal batch of this cider on the weekend. Im kinda new to this homebrewing thing so I have a few questions.....

Can I use pasterized apple juice for this? I was looking at apple juice at my local super market and it has k sorbate in the ingredients, will this be ok to use?

how long should i let it sit in the primary? How long should I bottle it for?

What temp should I ferment at?

I would like to get a carbed cider, but I hope that I dont have the bottle bomb problem like others on here.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:38 PM   #104
brazedowl
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 9

A) Pasturized is ok, that's just heated to kill baddies in the juice

B) K-Sorbate is a no-go. that's what we add at the end of fermentation to stabilize brews and stop future fermentation.

C) Sit in the primary until the SG drop below 1.000

D) Room temp? good question.

E) I have crazy bottle bomb problems going right now. Hence my upcoming "Drink The Cider Party"

Old 09-25-2012, 05:38 AM   #105
madkap_78
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Is there anyway to bottle and not get bottle bombs? Alot of ppl on here seem to be having that problem

Old 09-28-2012, 04:11 PM   #106
VanHeroy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So, many months after making my batch, here is what I learned:

1. BOTTLE IN CHAMPAGNE BOTTLES! They are built to hold much more pressure and I had no bombs despite having overly carbonated cider in them.
2. Wait at least 2 months (maybe 3) after bottling to let the carbonation settle down a bit or you will lose roughly half of each bottle to foam when you open it.
3. Make more than one batch at a time, it tends to be popular and goes entirely too quickly.

About to make another batch for the holidays. Good luck all.

Cheers,
Cort

Old 10-02-2012, 05:48 AM   #107
JerryMN
Recipes 

I started a cider before I found this recipe...I used Safbrew Safale S-33 Ale Yeast because that is all I had on hand. Any issues or concerns with using this yeast rather than the recommended? Also, if I slightly reduce the syrup and/or concentrate will that reduce the chances of bottle bombs? I have a feeling my wife won't be very understanding if a bottle explodes anywhere near our 3 year old...

Old 10-03-2012, 12:57 AM   #108
Stauffbier
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1033 Times on 635 Posts
Likes Given: 2751

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryMN View Post
I started a cider before I found this recipe...I used Safbrew Safale S-33 Ale Yeast because that is all I had on hand. Any issues or concerns with using this yeast rather than the recommended? Also, if I slightly reduce the syrup and/or concentrate will that reduce the chances of bottle bombs? I have a feeling my wife won't be very understanding if a bottle explodes anywhere near our 3 year old...
I have a feeling S 33 will work fine, but I'm just guessing. I also plan on priming mine differently than the recipe in this thread. I'm going to make a lactose caramel to back sweeten and then carb it up with table sugar using a priming calculator.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #109
rakoepke1
Recipes 

just started a cyser yesterday with 2 gallons of pasteurized cider and 5lbs of honey, brought it to a boil and steeped for a couple hours with 4 cinnamon sticks and a couple cloves then pitched a pack of champagne yeast. if the product is dry i plan on adding the cinnamon dolche syrup to sweeten it back up. not sure yet if im going to carbonate or add the syrup into the secondary and wait till still before bottling. OG was 1.122

any thoughts on this are appreciated since i have not attempted a hard cider or cyser before.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #110
JoKoZo
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I am making an apple cider from fresh pressed apples. I pressed the apples into juice and have added a campden tablet to it. i was advised to add the campden tablet in place of heat pasturizing. I want to follow this recipe, but the campden tab is added after fermentation...can I still use the juice?