Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > No gas release
Old 05-10-2011, 03:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default No gas release

I brewed a scottish ale this weekend and everything went great...but I have yet to see any gas release. A friend of mine brewed the same day with an Irish yeast and his hasn't stopped bubbling since it started...over 24 hours ago. I used a scottish yeast and have an active beer...constantly "moving" with a couple inches of krausen, but why no bubbling? Any thoughts?

Old 05-10-2011, 03:36 AM   #2
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Where's Revvy?? LOL. j/k

Bubbling or lack of bubbling means nothing. It is purely a form of entertainment. A small leak and you won't see any bubbling.

The only way you will know if you are fermenting is to take a hydrometer reading.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:38 AM   #3

My guess would be that there has to be a leak somewhere letting the CO2 escape, bypassing the airlock. If you're using a bucket, it's probably the lid gasket. You said you can see the brew, so I assume you're using a carboy. Maybe there is a small gap between the bung and the neck or the airlock and the bung. Maybe try spritzing the outside of those areas with a weak soap/water solution and look for bubbles, or try reseating everything.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:08 AM   #4
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Just kidding!!!!!!

But, airlock activity is not a real indication of fermentation. I have a bucket/lid combo that bubbles slowly for 8-10 days on a good ferment. I have another that bubbles for 2 days and stops abruptly.

If you are really concerned, take a gravity sample and see if there is progress (or krausen for that matter.)

EDIT: I just re-read and saw that you are seeing the yeast getting sexy and the krausen forming. You're golden...chill!

Most importantly, RDWHAHB and let the yeasties do their jobs.

In Primary:
Amarillo Pale Ale
A Stout I brewed for a guy as a lesson

In Bottles:
Jamil's Belgian Tripel
Centennial Pale Ale

On Draft:
Imperial Red Ale