• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Johnson Controls A419 Digital Temperature Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't trust that sensor because the different manufacturers likely use different voltage ranges within the sensor... therefore it would likely not be accurate.
BigB is correct!

Before trying this on my own, I sent an email to Brewers Hardware asking if the Ranco probe would work with the Johnson. Here's what I heard back.

Hi Herm,

No they will not. The Ranco uses a 30K NTC sensor and the Johnson uses a 1K PTC from what I understand. However, I have not been able to find a 1K PTC sensor that works properly with the Johnson which is why I dont make a replacement for that. They all seemed to read fine at room temp but would be increasinlgy off as the temp changed and there is no real calibration.

Derrin

Got mine Saturday. It has been working great. Set my refrigerator to 67 for fermenting and it has been staying right on. Super fast shipping too. Thanks again!

Recieved mine over the weekend. Have not had the oppertunity to try it out yet, but I am quite anxious to do so. Thanks DAM Yankee!

No problem. Glad to hear that everyone is pleased with their new controllers. Quick update, I only have four of the pre-wired units left. First four to complete PayPal payments get them...

Got mine this morning! Brand new in box, thanks for a great deal...

Picking up a free Chest Freezer from CL today!!

Only one controller left (pre-wired). PM me your email address if you want it. First completed PayPal payment gets it...

Hmmmm. Been using this temperature control since June with no problems. Today it was working fine for about a half hour then I heard a pop and the LCD is now blank. Opened it up to check that it's getting power to the terminals inside. I don't see any internal fusing.

Anyone who bought one of these having any problems?
Are there any fixxes for the units?

The seller hasn't been on HBT since unloading these controllers, so may be SOL.

I haven't had any issues with mine. If you have no LCD display, yet there is power at the terminals, sadly I think you are screwed. Contact your local Johnson Controls distributor to see about repairs.

Back