Ave. gravity extract saison -- 3711 vs. 3724?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsweet

Reaction score
Some time this summer I'm going to try brewing a saison for my wife. I'm an extract brewer, and I hear saisons are one of the styles that is tricky to do with extract since it's tough to get a sufficiently low FG without control over the malt, but I'm gonna give it a shot anyway. (It's not the complexity or even the extra equipment that is making me shy away from PG or AG right now, it's that with 2-year-old and 3-month-old boys I can barely find 2-3 consecutive hours to do an extract brew)

I'm going to shoot for around 5% ABV. I was starting to lean towards Wyeast 3724, but then I saw some people singing the praises of 3711's attenuative abilities, and I wondered if that might be better then giving that I'm using an extract so may have trouble with attenuation.

Any thoughts?

You will have no problem with 3711 and extract. i did 2 saisons (both extract) and they both finished low. 1.004 and 1.005 for 1.066. both ended up int the 7.5% ABV range

Something as low low as you are planning I would not be surprised to see that yeast finish very low with less sugar to eat. Plan on it finishing down near 1.000

3711 dropped my extract recipes (and the subsequent AG versions of those) to the same 1.000 or lower FG. I read that it's not as pronounced flavour-wise as 3724, but it's also pretty much foolproof, and I enjoy the taste so it gets my vote.

I am planning a Rye Saison in the next couple of weeks and will use 3711 based on many good comments. My all grain problem is usually getting the low FG that Beersmith says I should be getting with all the good tasting beers I do make.

Cheers and good luck.

You can always pitch the dupont strain and if/when it stops you just throw in some 3711. That's my plan for my next saison. Though I do really like the flavor I got from 3711. I just cultured up the yeast from two 750s of dupont. So instead of buying yeast I just harvested it. I have a good amount to make two starters. I'll see how the dupont does on its on first.

I haven't revealed the other weird twist... it's going to be a chamomile saison. Call me crazy, but two of my wife's favorite beers have been flavored with chamomile, and one of them is a saison that is no longer available bottled (and we know of no place anywhere nearby to get it on draft)

I personally am not crazy about saisons, and I didn't care for the Grassroots ale (although the other one flavored with chamomile that she likes is quite nice). So don't look at me :)

In any case, my point is that a strong saison flavor is probably not a huge deal, since I'll be flavoring it anyway.

Chamomile is just a flower. I know a LOT of beers that are made with this one family of flowers and people just LOVE it. ;)

Ive done this extract recipe several times and in my opinion it tastes better than any commercial version of saisons I've tried. I've been to multiple saison tastings and tried 15+ different kinds. This one is more of a traditional saison in a sense that this is a table beer. Very light and easy to drink, yummy!

Chamomile is just a flower. I know a LOT of beers that are made with this one family of flowers and people just LOVE it. ;)

AHB sells a ginger hibiscus saison that I've made 7-8 times. People drink it like it's crack. The reddest beer you'll ever see.

Also, I second the 3711. Most idiot-proof saison yeast out there.

You will have no problem with 3711 and extract. i did 2 saisons (both extract) and they both finished low. 1.004 and 1.005 for 1.066. both ended up int the 7.5% ABV range

I know this was like a year ago, but did you use any simple sugar at all in your extract saisons? I read the big thread and it seemed the general consensus was there was no need, but most of those people I believe were doing all grain so with extract I wasn't sure...

I know this was like a year ago, but did you use any simple sugar at all in your extract saisons? I read the big thread and it seemed the general consensus was there was no need, but most of those people I believe were doing all grain so with extract I wasn't sure...

Holy Zombie thread...

Yes I did use sugar in my early extract Saisons. I like them dry and using 3711 you still get good mouthfeel. I used 10-15% in those early brews.

I am doing all grain BIAB or occasionally BIAB partial mash brews now and still use sugar.

Back