Sanitizing fruit with no rinse sanitizer, can it be done? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sanitizing fruit with no rinse sanitizer, can it be done?

Old 05-09-2011, 12:48 AM   #1
brewd00d
Recipes 

Sep 2010
Townsend, Delaware
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have read that if you sanitized fruit by boiling, some of the flavors are gone and something about the pectin.

I wanted to do a late addition of strawberries into a lager im making (which are already fermenting with strawberries, i want more) but im wondering if i cut them up into a quarters and rinse them with some luke warm water with some no rinse sanitizer if that would be good enough?

Whats your thought?

Old 05-09-2011, 01:10 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7721 Times on 5424 Posts

Boy, I wouldn't. I mean, I know it's "no rinse" but it's not exactly for drinking, either.

I don't put fruit in my beer, but I use fruit all the time in my wines. I use campden tablets (potassium metabisulfite) in my wine musts/fruits and that works great.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:14 AM   #3
brewd00d
Recipes 

Sep 2010
Townsend, Delaware
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i meant just a 2-3 minute contact time to sanitize them before i put them into an active fermentation.

i dont want to boil then add them because i dont wanna loose any flavor or have them get soggy and pale looking.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:16 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7721 Times on 5424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewd00d View Post
i meant just a 2-3 minute contact time to sanitize them before i put them into an active fermentation.

i dont want to boil then add them because i dont wanna loose any flavor or have them get soggy and pale looking.
I don't think 2-3 minutes contact time is enough to thoroughly sanitize fruit, but even so I wouldn't use star-san on it. That's just got such a "yuck" factor and the fruit WILL absorb the sanitizer.

Why not use the k-meta? That's the standard for wine making.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:18 AM   #5
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts

I think it would be ok, just santize them after you cut the tops off, rinse them with some distilled water, then quickly cut them with a sanized knife and chuck em in. Remember, you are putting them into alcohol

Old 05-09-2011, 01:21 AM   #6
michigator04
Recipes 

Jul 2010
South Florida

A lot of people on here seem to use vodka to sanitize fruit, as it is potable and doesn't affect the flavor significantly (in small quantities).

Old 05-09-2011, 01:22 AM   #7
brewd00d
Recipes 

Sep 2010
Townsend, Delaware
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewhaha2057 View Post
I think it would be ok, just santize them after you cut the tops off, rinse them with some distilled water, then quickly cut them with a sanized knife and chuck em in. Remember, you are putting them into alcohol
that was my thought too.

i guess there only one way to find out.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:30 AM   #8
wolverinebrewer
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Oxford, MI
Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

The only sanitizing I have done on fruit beers is to mix the fruit with 1/2 cup of vodka and pour through a strainer. I have done this with strawberries and raspberries with no contamination issues.
FWIW, an issue I experienced using whole strawberries was that the batch came our very tart. It's drinkable but not at all what I was expecting. I believe the reason to be that the strawberries were not quite ripe enough. I used frozen ones from Costco and I did not even think that they could be picked slightly "green". Strawberries are one fruit that does not ripen after picking like bananas or apples.
If I were to use strawberries again, I would try to pick them here locally next month and freeze until I need them.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:36 AM   #9
brewd00d
Recipes 

Sep 2010
Townsend, Delaware
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverinebrewer View Post
The only sanitizing I have done on fruit beers is to mix the fruit with 1/2 cup of vodka and pour through a strainer. I have done this with strawberries and raspberries with no contamination issues.
FWIW, an issue I experienced using whole strawberries was that the batch came our very tart. It's drinkable but not at all what I was expecting. I believe the reason to be that the strawberries were not quite ripe enough. I used frozen ones from Costco and I did not even think that they could be picked slightly "green". Strawberries are one fruit that does not ripen after picking like bananas or apples.
If I were to use strawberries again, I would try to pick them here locally next month and freeze until I need them.
thanks for the heads up, the ones i got were locally picked, and from what was said, to pesticides were used.

ill do it. worst case scenario is i know what NOT to do next time.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:41 AM   #10
genes
Recipes 

Jan 2009

Heating will cause some flavor loss, but infection will cause total flavor loss. If I do post fermentation fruit additions I pasteurize the fruit. Heat to 170 F for 10 minutes.