Yeast habits - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Yeast habits
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2011, 03:15 AM   #1
spaced
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Posts: 305
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts



Hi All,

Having a problem with yeast that is sitting on the top of my beer. Basically the beer is fermenting fine, numbers are good but the yeast stays on top of the beer. It doesn't fall.

Last time I used gelatine to clean it up but I'd prefer not to do that. And I'm not rushing the beer as the last one finished fermenting and the yeast was still sitting on top a week later.

Is this a sign that there is a problem with fermentation, or should I not worry and bottle it as is?


__________________
My gluten free home brewing blog.
http://gfhomebrewing.blogspot.com/

Drinking: Hopped Honey IPA
Fermenting: 2 Ciders with S-33 Yeast, Summer Pale Ale and a West Coast IPA
Planning: Belgian Triple, Blood Orange Wit and American IPA

All gluten free.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:12 AM   #2
DirtbagHB
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Pocatello, ID, Idaho
Posts: 234
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


as far as i know, dont worry about it. i ususally have this occur. i rack into my bottling bucket or keg from between this head and the trub at the bottle.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:12 PM   #3
dorklord
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
La Crosse, Wisconsin
Posts: 577
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by spaced View Post
Hi All,

Having a problem with yeast that is sitting on the top of my beer. Basically the beer is fermenting fine, numbers are good but the yeast stays on top of the beer. It doesn't fall.

Last time I used gelatine to clean it up but I'd prefer not to do that. And I'm not rushing the beer as the last one finished fermenting and the yeast was still sitting on top a week later.

Is this a sign that there is a problem with fermentation, or should I not worry and bottle it as is?
You say that you are a week past the ferment 'finishing'. How long are we looking total? And has this been with the same variety of yeast?
__________________
That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:45 PM   #4
janivar123
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
porsgrunn norway, lol
Posts: 552
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts


Can you put it somwhere cold before botteling?
has done the trick for me some times

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:20 AM   #5
spaced
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Posts: 305
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dorklord View Post
You say that you are a week past the ferment 'finishing'. How long are we looking total? And has this been with the same variety of yeast?
Say last time I had it in primary for nearly three weeks before I chucked in gelatine to clear it up.

This is US-05. Have used it before without issue. Has happened with two brews in a row.

Didn't happen with S-33 or WB-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by janivar123 View Post
Can you put it somwhere cold before botteling?
has done the trick for me some times
Nah we're short on fridge space. Where it currently is, is where it has to stay.


On the subject on Yeast, has anyone use T-58 with gluten free and had good results?
__________________
My gluten free home brewing blog.
http://gfhomebrewing.blogspot.com/

Drinking: Hopped Honey IPA
Fermenting: 2 Ciders with S-33 Yeast, Summer Pale Ale and a West Coast IPA
Planning: Belgian Triple, Blood Orange Wit and American IPA

All gluten free.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:51 AM   #6
dorklord
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
La Crosse, Wisconsin
Posts: 577
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by spaced View Post
Say last time I had it in primary for nearly three weeks before I chucked in gelatine to clear it up.

This is US-05. Have used it before without issue. Has happened with two brews in a row.

Didn't happen with S-33 or WB-06



Nah we're short on fridge space. Where it currently is, is where it has to stay.


On the subject on Yeast, has anyone use T-58 with gluten free and had good results?
I've used T-58 in my Belgian Witless, and had very good results. I used it in the warmer end of its range to bring out the flavors, I want to try using it at the lower end for a cleaner ale one of these days...
__________________
That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:16 AM   #7
spaced
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Posts: 305
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dorklord View Post
I've used T-58 in my Belgian Witless, and had very good results. I used it in the warmer end of its range to bring out the flavors, I want to try using it at the lower end for a cleaner ale one of these days...
What fermentables did you use in that recipe? And what sort of flavours did the yeast produce at the higher end?

Also do you have the witless recipe written down anywhere?

Currently reading "Brew like a monk" so I'm tempted to try a bit more belgian style brewing soon.
__________________
My gluten free home brewing blog.
http://gfhomebrewing.blogspot.com/

Drinking: Hopped Honey IPA
Fermenting: 2 Ciders with S-33 Yeast, Summer Pale Ale and a West Coast IPA
Planning: Belgian Triple, Blood Orange Wit and American IPA

All gluten free.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
dorklord
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
La Crosse, Wisconsin
Posts: 577
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by spaced View Post
What fermentables did you use in that recipe? And what sort of flavours did the yeast produce at the higher end?

Also do you have the witless recipe written down anywhere?

Currently reading "Brew like a monk" so I'm tempted to try a bit more belgian style brewing soon.
6 lbs sorghum, 1 lb rice extract, flavored with orange peel and coriander.

The yeast gave it that spicy, belgiany taste, sort of like a cross between a trappist ale and a wit. Or at least, what I remember those 2 tasting like...


__________________
That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump