Which Plate Chiller Should I Choose ? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Which Plate Chiller Should I Choose ?

Old 05-05-2011, 02:23 AM   #1
Sciyan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2009

Hi

I'm about to add a plate chiller to my brewing system, but I don't know which one to choose. Maybe some of you already have one and have comments about it.

Here my 4 choices :

They look all good... can't decide...

Thanks

Old 05-05-2011, 02:29 AM   #2
samc
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Portland OR
Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts

I'd skip Blichman and figure out the others on price as they are all similar if not the same.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
SankePankey
Recipes 

Dec 2009
Hudson Valley, New York
Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

I have the 30 Duda with mounting studs. A lot of HBS buy duda chillers and resell them.

I wanted the 40 and they didn't get the ones with mounting studs in time, so I got the 30 in stead. I'm happier with it actually, since where I have it, the 40 would be more in the way.

There are helpful files on the dudadiesel site to help you with a gravity drain situation if that's what you're doing. If you want to chill fast and do a gravity drain, then you'll need a larger chiller and faster and colder water.

I do a 15 gal recirculating plate chill (which I could find no help on calculating what to expect for times). At 5 GPM for both wort and 55* water, I'm getting around 12 minutes from 212 to pitch for the whole volume. Wort return arm positioning makes the difference.

For what you pay for a Blichmann, you could get a monster chiller from duda. The blick is nice though.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
skylor60
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jan 2011
York Haven, Pa
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Just got a 40 plate from kegcowboy prices seem right there as they have a 5% coupon as well

Old 05-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
Sarrsipius
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I have the one you list from homebrewstuff and couldn't be happier. I chill 10 gallons from boiling to 65deg in about 10 minutes. If I run a pre chiller in an ice bath on the chilling water I can do it in 5 or 6 minutes in mid August.

It should be mentioned that I use a large hop bag during the boil and also have tri clamp fittings. On the fitting for the wort in port I use a 1/8in mesh screen gasket to catch any large hop leaves or other stuff before it gets into the chiller. I think this helps avoid any buildup of debris over time. I think it's important to avoid running large amounts of break material or hops through a plate chiller to avoid clogging. But your miliage may vary.
Keg 5: AIR 6: Edworts Apflewien

My HERMS rig

Old 05-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
cwilliams108
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Indianapolis, In

I had the 30 plate chiller from Duda on my rig and *for me* it didn't cool to pitching temps quick enough. So I upgraded to Duda's B3-23A 50 plate chiller which has not only 20 more plates but is about twice as long. By the numbers Duda gives, it's almost 3 times the surface area as compared to the 30. I was able to run 212F-68F without throttling the flow of wort on the first brew through it. This was important to me as even throttling the flow on the 30 I had to recirc. to hit pitching temps.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:38 PM   #7
Julohan

Recipes 

Apr 2009
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I had the mashmasters chill out. Worked very well, cooled better than my current duda. I then ruined the chillout (user error). The only thing that I did not like about the chillout was the barb fittings. I would had rather had threaded fittings like my duda has now for quick-disconnects.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:38 PM   #8
rmullins

Recipes 

Apr 2007
Long Island
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I just ordered this one the other night

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingc...e-Chiller.html

comes with the backflush adapter

Old 05-05-2011, 10:59 PM   #9
emjay
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Liked 1719 Times on 1606 Posts

I can't comment on which is best, as I've only owned one (and no doubt, most people are in the same boat), so all I can say is that my Blichmann works fantastically. Also comes with a useful mounting bracket, and was a cinch to put my quick disconnect fittings on.

I made my own back-flush hose though. It's cheaper and far more customizable that way, working in whatever configuration you want instead of just their fittings. For instance, I use a 5-foot hose with a female garden hose adapter on one end, and a quick disconnect on the other. The length and fitting configuration allows me to connect it straight to a wort port and bypass the entire water part of the chiller, while also still being able to attach it from the water-out to both the wort-in and wort-out. It's also the same hose I use to fill my HLT, so technically it was a non-cost. Although to fill the HLT, I guess many people fill it from the top without needing any fittings on the HLT side, but in that case, sticking a fitting on that hose is still much cheaper AND better than buying their 18" backflush hose.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:02 PM   #10
Julohan

Recipes 

Apr 2009
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmullins View Post
I just ordered this one the other night

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingc...e-Chiller.html

comes with the backflush adapter
Looks like a DudaDiesel