Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > What's Cookin' Tonight?

Old 05-03-2011, 04:45 AM   #1
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 259 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default What's Cookin' Tonight?

German theme night

bratwurst on the grill
German-style potato salad
Hottenroth Berliner Weisse from The Bruery

Yummaay!!

Old 05-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
bgruis
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Damn that sounds good!

Old 05-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 35 Posts

I'm preparing some pico de gallo and not-chunky salsa (pico in food processor) for Cinqo de Mayo. Also roasting some garlic for same. I still haven't decided what I'm making but it'll probably have either shredded beef or shredded pork in it, I should prob season whichever meat I choose tonight as well.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 05-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
foyt20
Recipes 

Tacos. Its the only thing Im good at at the moment in the kitchen.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
BargainMugs
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I have some leftover pulled pork from sunday. I think I'm going to make a pulled pork pizza tonight.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #6
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
I'm preparing some pico de gallo and not-chunky salsa (pico in food processor) for Cinqo de Mayo. Also roasting some garlic for same. I still haven't decided what I'm making but it'll probably have either shredded beef or shredded pork in it, I should prob season whichever meat I choose tonight as well.
I make shredded beef tacos fairly often, I start with a bottom round roast trimmed of fat, salt pepper and garlic it. Sear it in a hot skillet and cook on low in a crockpot. after several hours I add 1/2 of a bottle of cheap lager or other low hop beer and cook for another hour or two, I add a couple cups of homemade salsa to the crockpot for the last hour of cooking and shred it back into the liquid in the bottom of the crockpot to keep warm. I usually simmer it in the crock pot for 30 minutes to get all the flavor in the shredded meat.

Fry up some homemade taco shells, fill with shredded beef and top with your choice of cheese, sour cream, lettuce, whatever you like really.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:12 PM   #7
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 321 Times on 317 Posts
Likes Given: 22

last night was flounder topped with Parmesan, salt, and a little mayo, then a salad with crushed tortilla chips and hot sauce instead of dressing.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
I make shredded beef tacos fairly often, I start with a bottom round roast trimmed of fat, salt pepper and garlic it. Sear it in a hot skillet and cook on low in a crockpot. after several hours I add 1/2 of a bottle of cheap lager or other low hop beer and cook for another hour or two, I add a couple cups of homemade salsa to the crockpot for the last hour of cooking and shred it back into the liquid in the bottom of the crockpot to keep warm. I usually simmer it in the crock pot for 30 minutes to get all the flavor in the shredded meat.

Fry up some homemade taco shells, fill with shredded beef and top with your choice of cheese, sour cream, lettuce, whatever you like really.
And lots of pico!

That sounds good. I often just use stew meat but I'm leaning towards some pork shoulder 'carnitas' this time. Depends on what looks good at the butcher section.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 05-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #9
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
And lots of pico!

That sounds good. I often just use stew meat but I'm leaning towards some pork shoulder 'carnitas' this time. Depends on what looks good at the butcher section.
I always roll with whatever looks best, sometimes its a tri-tip, or a pork shoulder. it's all good!

Old 05-16-2011, 12:57 AM   #10
siobhan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I got my hands on some fresh pork shanks at the co-op. Braised them slowly in half of the last bottle of the Dead Spider Red Irish ale (2nd batch of my first brew!), combined with a half cup of last year's green tomato mincemeat (using like chutney). Added in salt, pepper and several large onions, cut up.

At the end, I reduced the liquid and added some more raisins. Served with potatoes and green beans. Sweet-sour and yummy! Of course, the rest of the red ale was the perfect drink to go with it.

I'm going to miss that beer.