Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Heat stick
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2011, 06:31 AM   #1
RevFry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 49
Default Heat stick

Holy crap! It works! And I didn't kill myself. I'm impressed.

One I can brew in the basement and have my own private space. Winning.


RevFry is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:37 AM   #2
RevFry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 49
Default

Ooops, actually the plug began to melt. Hrmmm. Not a good sign.


RevFry is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:40 AM   #3
RevFry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 49
Default

And it had water inside it. So much for water tight. Wonder i didn't kill myself.
RevFry is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
HHP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Harker Heights, Texas
Posts: 374
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

How did you build it? Details? Pictures?
HHP is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:07 AM   #5
RevFry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP
How did you build it? Details? Pictures?
http://www.3d0g.net/brewing/heatstick

I followed the instructions here. Pretty straight forward. I think my melting outlet has more to do with the old ass house's bad wiring. The outlet and wall heats up if we run a space heater in the winter.

Going to use the newer wiring for the washer on brew day. Should solve that issue.
RevFry is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,335
Liked 294 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 496

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevFry View Post
...
I think my melting outlet has more to do with the old ass house's bad wiring. The outlet and wall heats up if we run a space heater in the winter.

...
That right there is a huge warning sign. Please do something about this as you are at extreme risk of the house burning down. Call an electrician. It is very likely that you have aluminum wiring and over time the connections loosen inside the walls. It's a fire waiting to happen.

http://www.inspectapedia.com/aluminum/aluminum.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/19/re...te/19home.html
P-J is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #7
RevFry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J
That right there is a huge warning sign. Please do something about this as you are at extreme risk of the house burning down. Call an electrician. It is very likely that you have aluminum wiring and over time the connections loosen inside the walls. It's a fire waiting to happen.

http://www.inspectapedia.com/aluminum/aluminum.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/19/re...te/19home.html
Thanks. Yeah, we rent. The wiring sucks. I've had to get UPSs for all the computer gear because I suspect the wiring in a number of cases of computer failure.

Like I said, I'll be using the newer wiring in the basement for brewing. We don't run the space heater anymore, either. =)
RevFry is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 2,306
Liked 254 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

You should still have it checked. Doesn't matter if you rent or not. It sounds completely unsafe.

In fact if you rent, the owner should pay for it. It's their responsibility.

Please do something and do not use the outlets in the house at all until it's all checked out.

Kal
kal is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #9
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 5,423
Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

Not sure how you can sleep at night with that wiring situation!!!

GET IT CHECKED TODAY - make the landlord aware and get him/her to pay, take them to small claims court for the $$ if they won't. It is your LIFE after all.
samc is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #10
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 2,306
Liked 254 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Reminds me of some of the electrical work seen here:

http://thereifixedit.failblog.org/ta...trical-hazard/

Please don't tell me that this is your electrical meter outside:



Kal


kal is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools



Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS