I decided to try malting this week while I was off with the kids. Here is what I did, and the results I got. I'm currently kilning my last batch before I roast so I will update this with the rest of the pics as they come.
I started on Thursday AM by soaking 8.5 lbs of buckwheat in my mash tun. 4/28/11 9:05 am
Buckwheat a few hours into my 8 hour soak.
I drained the mash tun, then transferred the buckwheat to a cheesecloth lined Rubbermaid container. That allowed me to easily rinse the super starchy liquid off the buckwheat every few hours. 4/28/11 pm soaked millet for 4-5 hours.
4/29/11 12:55 pm 27 hours later, We Sprouted!
4/30/11 9:50 am 49 hours after starting the buckwheat. At this point I decided to dry it. Almost all the buckwheat is spouted with 1/2 to 3/4 inch roots. A few you can see the acrospire.
A Better shot of how long the roots are.