No more AG for me :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gclay

Reaction score
Well while I was in the middle of my boil the wife came home, What's the first thing out of her mouth???? "What the hell is that smell?" Ummmm, my beer I say. I had just put the hops in 5 mins before. The next thing she says is no more, so the only way I can get away with Ag is if she goes away for the night. That happens once a year. Oh well, I'm glad I didn't go out and buy a bigger pot. I will still do extract and keg. But at least I got to try it a couple times. Oh and I don't know how I did it but I hit all my numbers, pre-boil 1.053 in the fermenter topped up 1.042, 1.040 @ 80 corrected. I'm shocked, and I checked the numbers 3 times just to be sure. Noe I just hope it tastes good.

Gerald

http://www.how-to-negotiate.com/

really going to give up that easily?? perfect opurtunity to get an outdoor set up too.

And how bad does it smell? I have a very small apartment, and any of my batches (all have just been PM so far) don't smell that strong to receive a ban? And even if it is strong, its not really an offensive smell. Is AG much more smelly or what?

mancard.jpg

Seriously though, are you brewing outside or in? She won't let you brew outdoors?

I agree with wakadaka. When i had a boil over and scorched our stove i used it as an excuse to get a turkey fryer and start all grain, and she thinks she won! I love the smell of mashed grain it kinda reminds me of cookies and fresh brewed tea but she hates it also so now i brew in the garage. Win-win!

Sounds like you have two options here. Divorce or brew outside. If you go the divorce route make sure she doesn't take your brewing equipment.

.......................... maybe i am missing something but how does the smell that bothered her change between extract and all-grain? I am guessing the boils is what "stunk" up the house (with awesomeness).

You have to boil using extract. I don't get it lol. Suck it up and take the heat from the wife.

not to be all Dr. Phill or anything but dude grow a set and tell the wife to chill out..
and in the meantime get operations set up outside quickly.. :)

Sounds like its time for a new wife. Save the brew pot money on a divorce lawyer. That **** ain't cheap.

not to be all Dr. Phill or anything but dude grow a set and tell the wife to chill out..
and in the meantime get operations set up outside quickly.. :)

and this. It isn't as if the smell is going to be there forever.

Tell her to go buy a candle while you're finishing up. Come back never.

Ran into a similar problem, now I have a 3 tier propane rig in the garage.

Make sure to ***** about the smell next time she takes a bath in some sort of lavender chamomile vanilla aromatherapy bath soak.

My fiance is pretty sensitive to certain smells and she did not like the wonderful aroma of a brew last Friday when we both had the day off. She works second shift and I first, so I usually brew when she is not around. I have been asked to put a fan in the kitchen window next time. Guess I'll try that and see. Good luck.

A propane burner is a simple fix and is faster and more enjoyable. It's hard to beat sitting in a lawn chair, having a homebrew, and watching the boil... especially if it will also help you get laid.

I'm so lucky my girlfriend is ultra tolerant of my cluttering up the apartment with brewing.

They should smell exactly the same?????????? Does not make sense.

They definitely do!

Unless you're doing a no-boil kit, that is. Those prehopped extract kits are like making kool-aid- no boiling or hops or anything. Like Cooper's or John Bull "kits".

That would be the difference. Otherwise, extract and AG brews are exactly the same with the boiling for 60 minutes, hops additions, etc.

When I first jumped into proper brewing (not just can&kilo its) my wife pretty much said the same thing, but I could understand her position - she was in the first trimester of pregnacy and her sense of smell was crazy, she could tell when I had feed the cat, in the garage, from the other end of the house!
She's still pregnant and still got a crazy sense of smell but I now brew in the garage but once baby comes along I'll get her to see if it was as bad as she originally though.

WTH? I love the smell while brewing. Its very warm, homely and enjoyable. Whoever said to find something she likes doing, complain about the smell and declare "No More!" was absolutely right. Big deal, she doesn't like the smell. Its what, a couple hours once a week? There are lots of things I don't like, but I don't go one some rampage trying to eliminate the slightest annoyances from my life, especially at the expense of others' passions.

Why wife usually finds something to do with the boy during my brew days, not because of the smell, but because I'm busy all day. Can she really not plan something with her friends on brew day if it bothers her that much?

1st - She drink beer? Make a beer she likes. there a few brownie points, 2nd - keep brewing she shall adapt. 3rd - If you happen to get your nuts back hide em so she don't get her hands on em again.. :D

Guess im lucky.. I'm not married but my girlfriend is addicted to homebrew and even brews with me and she help decide what to make at times..

Mine hates the smell too so I just brew outside. Not brewing is never the option! She also prefers the crappy beers, and hates hoppy or bitter beers, so I win in the fact she will not drink most of my beers!

Partners don't "tell" you "no". This would be something in which you'd compromise; you don't have to go see chick flicks and you'll spend some money and move the operation to the garage. ;)

oh i hear you buddy, my wife tells me when i can breathe. One time she fell asleep before me and i almost suffocated.

seriously man, wtf? are you just accepting this? Next time she's watching some stupid tv show, pick up the tv and throw it through the nearest window, then just say "no more".

When George Washington chopped down that cherry tree, Legend has it that he said "i cannot tell a lie." thats not the whole story, martha was up in his grill asking about that effin tree, so he said, "hell yeah I chopped down the damn tree, what of it!? I'll do whatever the hell i want. i'll be out back in the shed brewing beer. i chopped the $hit out of that tree, and now i'm gonna put some in my stout to condition it. question, where the hell were you, huh? out running the streets? yeah, keep it up!"

Gotta love this board. These People are SENS-IT-TIVE!

Seriously, I'm not a child (punk) to be told what I will do and will not do. Anyone that lives with a "partner" shouldn't be "Told" what to do. I can't wrap my mind around living with someone that feels OK telling me I won't (insert action here) brew beer again. Amazing...

Edit: I see you're from Canada. Tell her to "Take off, Hoser. Beauty time, eh"?

Partners don't "tell" you "no".

This.

I know you may have been paraphrasing, but for her to just immediately decree that you shall no longer partake in a growing hobby is completely unacceptable. Not just on some 'you're missing your balls' level, but if there was no discussion of the issue, you have bigger problems.

FWIW though, you'll have a better experience outside with a propane burner and a big ass pot. And if she wants to tell you what you can and can not do in the garage or in the driveway, just tell her if she wants a mowed lawn, she can STFU.

Seriously you need to go see a counselor if this is how your relationship works. Things can't last long when ultimatums are thrown down like that.

My wife hated the smell of the first batch, second batch, and third batch. The 4th batch was brewed on the propane burner she bought me for Christmas. The 6th and 7th batches she helped brew. Now she loves the smell.

Boy, who woulda thought this topic would get so many posts in 3 hours? /sarcasm.

But, yeah, I agree with Yankee here. Well, the last sentence anyway. From what you told us, she crossed a line, IMO. Walks in, doesn't like the smell, and BAM! you are banned from doing it again? That's bollocks, IMO.

Back