I finally completed work on my system. I made a few changes from the previous posts. I decided to run 4-wire from the panel to the GFI Spa Panel. I split off the dryer from there to it's outlet, then wired a GFI protected outlet in the GFI panel box.
A 20' 10/4 cable connects the GFI to the brewery panel. Here's an overview of the panel:
The wiring might seem sort of convoluted, but that is because I was trying to accommodate several 24v components that I already had (contactors, LED indicators, power controller, Watlow PIDs, etc.).
I used a PWM (Walker's design - thanks man
) to control the boil because I was trying to get the system done cheaper. Then I came across the free temp controllers, so decided to incorporate them anyway. Eventually I might swap over control to the temp controller. Also, the second temp controller is not in use, but it is wired up. Eventually I will use that to control a recirculation loop for mash temp control.
I figured out the total cost to be around $600. I also figured out how much it would have been if I had to source all of the freebie parts. That would have run it up to about $900 total.
I also did a temperature ramp test today. I took 10 gallons of water from 56F to boil in 50 minutes. That’s an average of just over 3 degrees/min. I was pretty happy with that. The best part was the ambient temp in the room after the boil test. It went from 66F to 70F. When I used to use propane, the ambient temp was more like 85-90F. That was really uncomfortable.
I have been working on this panel (obsessively) for the last several months. I am really looking forward to brewing on it now. But that will have to wait until January.