Old 05-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #1
petep1980
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Dry yeasts

I went probably the better part of 2 years brewing with exclusively liquid yeasts. I would brew, and to reason the expense I would harvest, re-use etc. Eventually that kind of became a hassle and I didn't brew enough to really take advantage of a killer yeast bank.

I was lucky enough to brew twice this weekend, and I decided to try dry yeasts again. They were each about half the price of a smack pack. I didn't have to mess around with a starter or anything.

Is there any kind of yeast dynamics I should expect going back to try yeasts?

Old 05-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2890 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

I'm a little confused by your question.
What do you mean by yeast dynamics? Fermentation is fermentation, yeast is yeast. You shouldn't experience anything different by using different yeast.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #3
chefmike
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I harvest Nottingham regularly... I treat all yeast the same post ferment. I have not bought WL380 for wheat beers in a couple years. I harvest it into a jar (grolsch bottle for my 380). My 380 is about 10 generations out with no issues.

I have one batch of 2008 notty I still use for kicks, though my notty gets repurchased a couple times a year. (okay, 2 or 3)

Yeast ranching is the way to go... and dry yeasts are quality.
Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven

Old 05-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
BigBadMikey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I have great results with dry yeast. I rehydrate per manufacturer instructions and have had no problems. I will only use liquid yeast if I am brewing a saison or other belgian style. IPA's will be fermented with US-05 and ESB's Stouts and porters will be fermented with US-04. I have only used Nottingham once and it performed very well.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
rollinred
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I started brewing using liquid yeast thinking it was the way to go. I soon learned that most of my problems with off flavors were attributed to low yeast cell count. Even after making starters I would have some problems.

Well, switched to dry yeast out of budget requirement and many of my problems are solved. I can honestly say I think a lot of it is due to stress on the yeast from not having enough oxygen in the wort. Since dry yeast doesn't need oxygenation by beers instantly improved.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:41 PM   #6
Salmonhouse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I started with liquid yeast and then i started harvesting and making starters but now im just rehydrating a bunch of nottingham and pitching new each time. For $2/ pack its way cheap and it works very well. Much easier than the hasstle of a starter and probably just as cost effective considering the price of DME.